April 16, 2014

Hell's Kitchen: Season Finale - open thread

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 14th 2009 1:24PM
Hell's Kitchen
I haven't watched this season of Hell's Kitchen since the second episode. But I have them all recorded just in case I wanted to get back into it and maybe I'll take one of these weekend days and do a marathon. Of course, since I'm writing this post I already know who won, but it won't ruin the season for me. It's all about the journey (and a chef yelling at people).

So were you surprised by who won?

[Watch episodes and clips of Hell's Kitchen and other shows at SlashControl.]

Carla Rhomberg

I just love this show. I hope they put on many more of them. Ramceys really a wonderful guy just trying to make great chefs out of them all. But you have to have nerves of steel to enter. I was also glad to see Dave win. He went thru so much pain. But it paid off for him in the end. Great season.

November 08 2009 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tom

no way dave should've won this. guy had no clue running the pass just a lot of yelling and alot of nothing getting done. his menu was garbage that mushroom risotto looked like the dirty rice you get at popeyes. he played on the sympathy card with his wrist for the entire show while there was little to no mention of kevin's badly damaged ankles because he's not a whiner. dave is a bum.

October 17 2009 at 3:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

It WAS probably pretty close between Kevin and Dave and as my wife said, "Kevin is probably the better chef, but my heart wanted Dave to win." And so I think that made the better story in the end and they went with it.

I think the problem I had most with this season is that after about the third week, you just KNEW the final two chefs were going to end up being Kevin and Dave. None of the other ones ever really stood a chance and it was blatantly obvious they weren't in the same league.

So then it just became a matter not so much about WHO went each week, but rather WHEN.

I like when there's more uncertainty in the outcome.

October 15 2009 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

Oh wow...you can see how much she was missed...since I didnt realize she wasnt there. I did noticed the marine or whoever he was wasnt there...Im not surprised there.

Def smart move for Dave to pic Arielle since she came in 3rd place.

October 15 2009 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

dave had one hand and he beat everyone weak after weak. just off that alone he deserved to win

October 14 2009 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Sparks

Tennile wasn't there. That was weird. Then it occurred to me; she probably got a damn job.

October 14 2009 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

I was not surprised Dave would win. If you are a "hells kitchen" veteran watcher, it's pretty apparent the chef who keeps his head down and plows through the worst of the crap yet still produces is almost always the clear winner. There are usually two who stand out in that way from the beginning.

Robert was brought back for the same reason Dave was allowed to compete till the end. Ramsay was injured when he was a professional footie player. He healed and went back to try and resume his career only to find out he was replaced and would not be given the opportunity to prove he had the capability to continue.

Ramsay won't let anyone suffer that unknown of "could I have triumphed if this hadn't happened to me?". ( of course everyone wonders if Robert threatened something if he wasn't returned because he was in the last four in the previous season)

I am surprised that only one person mentioned the absense of Tenille (sp?) Sour grapes? or maybe some other important business she couldn't get away from?

I was glad to see Ariel back , despite those who said she shouldn't have been there, she is the one and only competitor who has ever been allowed to keep her jacket, maybe she wasn't as awful as those others previously thought?

All in all it was a good season considering the maniacal way Ramsay is portrayed here in America. And considering though it's considered a "reality competition" I have strong doubts as to chance or skill having anything to do with winning this competition. I firmly believe the two I mentioned in the beginning are the real competitors and all the rest merely players for "filler".

October 14 2009 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

Where was Tenille ???

October 14 2009 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

It was pretty obvious that Kevin chose his team poorly and that Amanda cost him the win.

Dave smartly chose Suzanne who was a good chef but a pain in the butt to deal with. It turned out that Dave's team outperformed Kevin's and Ramsey agreed.

It seemed that Kevin was the favorite all season. Too bad he chose Amanda, who choked on two stations.

And can I ask the producers to stop being so "Jerry Springer" with this show? It really is insulting to the audience who enjoys the cooking aspect of this show, not the gaudy side.

October 14 2009 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

I was happy Dave took it, and I think there are a few clear reasons why he won. First of all, I knew for a long time it was going to finally come down to these two - they were the only chefs with real substance and consistency in the bunch.

Why did Dave win, and why does he make a better head chef? He kept his head and recognized the best way to handle a situation, and always executed produced. And not to mention the dude did all this with a busted wrist for a good half the season.

There were a lot of questions raised by other contestants and Chef Ramsay himself in the finale regarding the simplicity of Dave's menu - but at the end of the day, he clearly designed it with the final service in mind. Kevin's complexity outdid him.

Kevin also shortchanged Dave when he commented that Dave didn't have the gourmet skills - this after he LOST in a straight-up challenge judged by gourmet professionals. Dave showed he was able to put together fantastic dishes (even, apparently, for types of cuisine he's never experienced! winning with his Indian dish was awesome!) and also get down to business in the kitchen. That's the combination Ramsay is looking for.

Finally, I just liked Dave's personality. I'm an avid skier, and for some reason I could just see a guy like Dave running things at a ski resort. Best of luck to him; this season of HK was pretty lackluster at the outset, but I think watching the overall lengthy competition between Dave and Kevin was a lot of fun.

...thus ends my apparent man-crush on a reality show contestant. What the hell has happened to me?

October 14 2009 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply