October 24, 2014

Tracy Morgan talks about old SNL castmates in his new book

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 14th 2009 7:25PM

Tracy Morgan has a new tell-all book
, I Am The New Black, coming out next week (and he's doing some crazy stuff on his new Twitter page), and one of the things that fans will find out are his true feelings for some of his old Saturday Night Live castmates.

He talks about what he could have brought to the NBC late night show, but that they didn't really listen to him. Instead, he says they... "felt bad for me. None of the cast I came up with saw this future for me. No sir. All I have to say about that is, where's Chris Kattan now? Where's Cheri Oteri now? That bitch can't get arrested."

To answer Morgan's first question, Kattan is on ABC's new hit comedy The Middle and Oteri is a voice on FOX's Sit Down Shut Up.

To be fair, Morgan doesn't say he dislikes Kattan or Oteri (at least in this excerpt), but it does seem like he enjoys the fact that people who didn't see a successful future for him are now probably eating their words. The new season of 30 Rock starts tomorrow.

[Watch episodes and clips of 30 Rock and other shows at SlashControl.]

Sapphire

Tracy Morgan on 30 rock is HILARIOUS!!! If you guys aren't watching because of him it's your lose because not just him, the WHOLE cast make the show what it is! I have ALWAYS liked Tracy Morgan, even when there was more of him to love. I have seen him do regular interviews and I think him seeming slightly off is just an act. He is a comedian and a lot of them act slightly off but when it is time for him to be serious, he can be. I wish him MUCH success!

October 15 2009 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miller980

You gotta wonder how big a lip imprint Morgan left on Fey's behind to get the 30 Rock gig. If not for her, he'd still be pushing his idea for a Brian Fellows movie. I love Cheri Oteri and would watch her in anything. Clearly, with Morgan working and Oteri not, talent is not the premiere factor in getting work.

October 14 2009 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to miller980's comment
Ryan

"I love Cheri Oteri and would watch her in anything."

Try "Surveillance" with Bill Pulman. Great movie, but it ain't a cheerleader sketch.

October 15 2009 at 3:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdaby3

He's the very reason I DON'T watch 30 Rock. I find him and his "humor" stupid.

October 14 2009 at 8:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mdaby3's comment
Cameron

I'll second that one. If someone else were in that role, I'd probably watch 30 rock too. I like Tina Fey, but not enough to have to sit through tracy morgan act like a retard. He should thank his lucky stars he got that gig, not like it was his talent that got him there. May as well have been Kattan or anyone else

October 15 2009 at 3:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

Although I loved Oteri and Kattan, Morgan is right. Before he was on SNL, he was on an improv show called 'Uptown Comedy Club' that filmed in NYC and, ironically, broadcast after SNL. He was the funniest person on the show. When NBC stopped showing 'Uptown Comedy Club,' I wondered about where Tracy Morgan might wind up and was happy when he appeared in the SNL cast. Unfortunately, he, like other African-American improv actors (excluding Chris Rock & Eddie Murphy but including pre-Lady's Man Tim Meadows and the K-ster), was kind of left to languish. Although I was glad he had a job, it was sad to see the talent go to waste. Although he plays the stereotypical crazy black actor in 30Rock, the way Fey has allowed the character to grow has truly showcased the TM I knew back in the days pre-SNL.

October 14 2009 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I always wonder if Tracy Morgan isn't slightly retarded. I'm not joking, and I'm not trashing him. If you'd prefer mentally challenged, okay... but yeah, there's always been something not quite right about the guy...

That said, who wouldn't want that? I mean, any of us... if you are striving at life and people discredit or dismiss you and your offerings, and do it in a clearly unpleasant way (not simply neglecting or anything like that, but either open ridicule, hostility, or even pity), why wouldn't you want them eating their words? And if it turns out that you end up making it big, and they languish, it takes a pretty big person not to at least think to themsevles, "heh"... he just has the balls to say it...

October 14 2009 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
Miles

As a boy of about 13 years old I also watched Tracy on Uptown Comedy Club. This guy was incredible and for anyone who hasn't heard or seen his work during the SNL years you'd agree with Mike and myself. He probably is a little retarded though.

October 14 2009 at 11:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply