October 24, 2014

A cancellation we can all get behind: Fox Reality is a goner

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 15th 2009 7:03PM
FOX RealityI never understood the FOX Reality Channel. Oh, I understood it from a business standpoint (reality is popular and cheap), but it seemed like something that was a very niche product and that it would go out of business some day. That day is upon us.

Well, the actual day won't come until March 31 2010, but we can start celebrating now, can't we? The channel itself will probably survive in one way or another. FOX has ideas for the channel that it might want to do and that would mean the the channel would have an entirely different theme and focus. Which is fine with me, even if the channel had such awesome original shows like American Idol Extra, The Search For The Next Elvira, Gimme My Reality Show! and Who Wants To Date A Puppet? (OK, I made up that last one.)

Reality fans take note however: the last Really Awards will air on October 17.

steve probst

I had hoped they would air some of the foreign versions of survivor

October 16 2009 at 3:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rob

But where will Val live?
I will admit to watching Solitary, it was a pretty cool show. I thought I had read something about 4.0 being filmed.

October 16 2009 at 12:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MCW

It's pretty bad when Fox won't even promote it's dead step-child channel. Have you really EVER seen an ad on Fox for "Fox Reality"?

I attempted to watch an American Idol Rewind ONCE, at most, and was disgusted at the has-been hosts. There was never any reason to go back to the useless channel. They might as well be C-Span or Versus for all I care.

October 15 2009 at 10:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Other than Solitary and Top Chef, I don't watch nor care to watch reality TV so this is sad only because of the loss of Solitary. I think if Fox put it on prime time during the summer, it'd be a surprise ratings hit.

October 15 2009 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Dang, Solitary was so awesome. It could have been bigger if it had a bigger audience.

October 15 2009 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tv junkie

the report make it seems like the channel will simply relaunch with a partner sharing the cost with Fox...so it might still be a reality channel, but hopefully not.

October 15 2009 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I'll miss Solitary, I hope they keep that show going somehow.

October 15 2009 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GameJerk

Solitary was pretty cool.

October 15 2009 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply