April 16, 2014

Ann Curry is so... Ann Curry-ish

by Joel Keller, posted Oct 15th 2009 8:24PM
Meredith Viera / Ann Curry
NBC just sent me a series of photos showing the interviews that will be conducted during the network's "A Woman's Nation" series. As part of the series, NBC, CNBC and MSNBC personalities will interview each other about "the state of women in American life," as the accompanying press release has stated.

In most of the pics, the pairs -- Andrea Mitchell/Rachel Maddow, Kathie Lee Gifford/Jenna Bush Hager, Mika Brzezinski/Hoda Kotb, Natalie Morales/Suze Orman -- sit on the comfy chairs, legs crossed. As you can see from the pic above, Ann Curry, who's paired up with Meredith Vieira, wants to be different: shoes off, feet tucked under her rear end. She's really into this conversation, know what I mean? She's listening. She's comfortable.

It's so Ann Curry, isn't it?

Any regular watcher of Today knows what I'm talking about; the intense, almost fake sincerity that she oozes in every interview, whether it's with Brad Pitt, some kid who just got suspended for bringing a knife into school, or Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. I've experienced the Ann Curry effect in person, and it seems just as off-putting up close as it does on TV. I'm guessing that's just her personality, but I wonder if she realizes how intense she comes off to people. I'd imagine that Larry David had folks like her in mind when he wrote about the "close talker" on Seinfeld.

Anyway, just for reference, here are the other four pics in the series:

Suze Orman and Natalie MoralesAndrea Mitchell and Rachel MaddowKathie Lee Gifford and Jenna Bush HagerMika Brzezinski and Hoda Kotb

Lillian

I guess people are only human and that make you say ugly things about people or it make you say nice things about people.
Ann Curry really seems nice, real and seems to care about people.
Birmingham

December 11 2009 at 7:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steele Sheen

with the exception of Al Roeker, Ann Curry is the only person on the Today show that i enjoy watching and listening to. yes that includes the confoundingly annoying (to me anyway) Katie Couric and slightly more tolerable Matt Lauer. suffice it to say when Couric left NBC i think i i was the only one not sad to see her off.

theres a quality about Ann thats REAL. its palpable right from the screen. its also the reason why i still watch her even if my personal opinion would vastly differ from hers at certain times. i'm sure Ann is not a saint and has her own flaws, but being disingenuous is certainly not one of them. its probably the only trait you cant accuse her of.

Mr Keller, you may interpret Ann's sincerity as intensity, but if you whittle from her, pray you dont meet anybody else more intense than her, like say Angelina Jolie, Anna Wintour or Hillary Clinton.

December 08 2009 at 5:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MR.RICK

everytime i watch meredith i cant help but laugh. she admits when she is wearing stockings she doesnt wear any underwear. i cant help but to think about that when i see her

October 18 2009 at 5:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aloe

Ann Curry has to be one of the most annoying people on television. Al Roker is another one. I turn the channel when these two come on the tube.

October 18 2009 at 1:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Invisible Mann

see, everyone agrees. i told you she was fine!

October 18 2009 at 1:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kalynn

Ann IS enjoyable, refreshing, classy and good at what she does. Those who don't enjoy her are indicative of the negativity and disdain we have in America...those who don't appreciate kindness and sincerity in life. Kudos to you Ann.

October 18 2009 at 1:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bri

She may be sincere and a great women but she COMES accross as insincere and fake. The tone of her voice when she speaks to someone who has faced a trauma is annyoying. I cannot stand to watch her in a one on one interview where she has that tone of voice.

October 18 2009 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

I love Ann Curry, she is so real and so warm, and genuine, and full of life. She is so much better than Katie Couric has ever been. Katie is such a zero compared to Ann.

October 18 2009 at 12:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deborah C

I have watched and admired Ann Curry since she was on the early am news on NBC; before the Today show. She is professional, respectful, compassionate and intelligent. To me she epitomizes what a news reporter and anchor should be and is. Keep up the great work !!

October 18 2009 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marick

I love Ann Curry on the today show and I always thought she should have replaced Katie Couric, when she left Today. Meredith is ok, but I think Ann deserved that position. I love Matt too.

October 18 2009 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply