July 31, 2014

Glee: Throwdown

by Jane Boursaw, posted Oct 15th 2009 3:12AM
Glee - Jane Lynch(S01E07) "I don't trust a man with curly hair..." - Sue

I'll just say right off the bat -- I was a little bored by this episode. I think because it centered on the bickering and manipulations of Sue and Will. It was annoying and sort of made me want to turn the channel.

But I stuck with it because, of course, I had this review to write, but also because of the musical numbers scattered throughout the show. It clarified for me what I love about Glee:

• Musical numbers.
  • Kurt. Much more Kurt is needed.
  • Any storylines with Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), particularly those involving Matthew Morrison (Will).

After the jump, more about this episode and what I don't love about Glee.

Ok, so what I don't love about Glee is much of what comprised this episode:

- The storyline with Terri's fake pregnancy. I would like it to just go away. Not only is she just an irritating character, but it makes me feel bad for Will, because he deserves someone worthy of his love -- like Emma. I can't figure out what he ever saw in Terri from the beginning. And now she's just leading him astray, saying he needs to get down in the gutter to fight with Sue.

- Sue. Sometimes she's funny, but only if she's in the background doing her scheming. An entire episode of Jane Lynchisms is too much, though I guess it was weirdly amusing when she called the kids "Asian ... other Asian ... Aretha ... Wheels ... Gay Kid ..."

Some other highlights:

• I still love Amber Riley's voice. Don't care if it's lip-synched.
  • "Drizzle" for a baby's name? What the...
  • The Russian power song every time Sue was scheming.
  • Sue telling Will not to touch her ... and him touching her.
  • "My rainbow tent will gladly protect you from the storm of racism." - Sue
  • Kurt saying he couldn't rock a no-hair look, and that even Justin Timberlake has gone back to a fro.

Your thoughts on this episode? Did you like it? Am I just having an off night?

Ðan

sue ! , Sue !! , SUE !!!

October 21 2009 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AntonioSaucedo

Sue Sylvester is the best character on TV. And Jane Lynch is a superior human being. I love the show but I love me some Sue even more. Let's all just chant: yes we cane, yes we cane! and stop criticizing Sue/Jane, We're beneath her/her.

October 16 2009 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Garrett

I have to disagree. This was one of the best episodes of Glee yet. Songs were great. Too many one liners to remember because of Sue. And there was good character interaction leading to everyone's breaking points. The doctor's lackadaisical attitude toward telling Will about the sonogram was great. I do agree that this will have to be figured out before too long. For Will's own sanity.

October 16 2009 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sean conners

i love sue....and haven't gotten "overloaded" a bit.

the most unrealistic things they have done so far....

1) you can't flunk a student more than once in a grade. (unfortunately)
2) the football scene...so many penalties...they go over the line of scrimmage (offsides) more than 2 players moving at the same time (illegal motion) and in most venues, it is a violation to play loud music over the pa once play begins.
3) also in the football scene...the line couldn't keep anyone from stomping finn all game, but they manage to hold off the entire line for 12 seconds while the kid dances?
4) i wish the 1st time the group attempts a song, it wouldn't be perfect, or next to perfect.
5) will never puts his hand on his wife's stomach while she's sleeping even?

the show isn't very realistic...but very entertaining. and i would expect the reviewer to become aggitated during will and sue's brawling...if the director did his job right, that's the intended effect...to feel the frustration of kids when adults bicker about their own self interests. i, for one, am glad it has at least slightly more depth than just being all about keen, american idolish musical numbers. that, for me, would get boring, fast.

October 16 2009 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CC

I like Glee as is - I'm not a big fan of musicals (I don't think I've actually seen one, but I don't like the idea of people bursting out into song and dance at the drop of a hat). That's one of the problems (for me) in the "fantasy" singing sequences - love the singing and dancing in "Bust Your Windows" but I thought it was out of place. Same w/ Rachel singing "Take a Bow" and even more so with Quinn's song in this episode.

But other than that, I enjoy Glee a lot. I also liked Popular when that was on, so I have no problems with suspension of disbelief. Ironic because I can't stand shows like Lost or Flashforward - they just seem to unbelievable.

I don't mind the pregnancy storyline - it's actually needed to hold parts of the plot together. Without it, Will is just a jerk, flirting with Emma even though he is married.

I like the lead singers - yes, Mercedes has a strong voice, but I imagine a glee club (show choir) would probably sing more show tunes and hence, need a lead who is more of a broadway-type singer (Rachel). Of course, this glee club does sing pop and r&b songs, but in general, I think Rachel has more range?

October 15 2009 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

By the way, one thing that I thought was a bit funny is that the Nelly song from their Jam session came out in 2002 and it isn't really a popular hit anymore. While I personally would associate it with high school /college, I'd imagine a kid in high school probably wouldn't be too familiar with it, but I guess it was for the viewing audience.

October 15 2009 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JPH

I keep sticking with this show because of my affection for the early episodes. But it's going downhill fast. The plots aren't just ridiculous, they're not entertaining. The characters are wildly inconsistent -- Quinn's personality shifts four times an episode, Finn is supposed to be a leader but keeps acting like a wimp, Rachel is either ludicrously self-involved or hyper-caring. Pick your characters and go with them.

The fake pregnancy sub-plot needs to be dropped immediately. Put whats-her-name the wife on a bus and get her off the show. They should also get past Quinn's pregnancy quickly... it's just stupid soap opera getting in the way of a high school romantic triangle that's dramatic enough on its own. And it gets in the way of exploring the other characters on the show.

As to the musical numbers, too many of them arise in the show unprovoked. And what's the matter with seeing them actually WORK at making something good as opposed to spontaneous harmonic perfection? And shouldn't someone argue about the choice of numbers? The kids look at the music say "Great" and get on with the number instantly. I'd rather they were fighting about what the club should do and perform and create then about petty romantic issues.

There's a good show in Glee, but it's falling apart. Did the producers shoot their wad in the early episodes? I think maybe they have.

October 15 2009 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to JPH's comment
Vijay

Since when were people only one thing? I appreciate the fact that they're all flawed people who don't think that they are "good" or "bad".

Take Quinn, who I think is one of the most interesting characters - smart (wasn't flunked by Shu, and had an easy time with the test), talented athletically and musically, and a general high school superstar, and she flaunted it. Then, she got pregnant (through cheating, no less), and is now having an existential crisis. The end of the episode was pitch-perfect (autotune notwithstanding) in capturing that she's losing composure.

My main problems with the show are three:

1) The women are presented as, generally, manipulative and selfish, lacking ethos. The men (except Noah) are generally presented as misguided by good intentions. Sue, Quinn, Rachel, Terri, and even Jayma (err, Emma) have done unsavory/unfair things to promote their own agendas, and are not presented as remorseful. Meanwhile, though Shu and Finn thought about cheating, ultimately the show holds Emma and Rachel responsible as the sirens who encouraged the men to stray. Even Quinn is forced to deal with the consequences of her own cheating, while Noah is basically off the hook.

2) Too much post-production and autotune. These are high schoolers. They should sing like it a little more. The first time I felt like there were actually a bunch of (talented) kids singing was during the jam session. More of that please.

3) The vocal leads. Finn has an okay voice, but he's no vocal lead. Clearly, he was picked for his look first, and voice second. I suspect Noah actually has a better voice, but they can't show that off. Meanwhile, Mercedes has the best female voice, followed closely by Rachel and Quinn. Again, she's got the wrong look and is not the leading lady.

October 15 2009 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy

I absolutely love this show and I see no flaws. Yes, the show has many areas that just aren't plausible, but welcome to TV. This is completely fictitious. If you can handle Rachel and Finn walking down a hallway singing No Air with fans blowing on them, then you can handle a lying OB/GYN. The best thing about this show is that it never tries to be realistic and the character of Sue is NEEDED or else the show will get too cutesy. It has had weak episodes in the past but I think that this is the way episodes should be done.

And about the Kurt thing, I personally find him annoying. It would be fantastic for once to have a show with a gay character that isn't so stereotypically gay. Gay kids always seem to be portrayed as very in touch to their feminine sides, girly and perky all the time. I feel that Chris Colfer overdoes the whole Kurt thing and it gets old. I wish Kurt could have been protrayed as a normal boy who just happens to be gay because I'm tired of viewing gay characters the same way ALL the time.

And on a side not from that, Jane Lynch and Lea Michele are the cement that keep this show together. AMAZING actresses.

October 15 2009 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

Good episode, great performances. I got kind of misty during the last number because of the emotions between Rachel and Quinn. My favorite part was when Sue said that Spanish was a dying language. That one had me chuckling for the rest of the night.

October 15 2009 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sarah's comment
BC McKinney

Plus she said she was so in favor of minorities she was thinking of moving to California to become one.

October 15 2009 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rtms

I love the musical numbers when they are a group practicing or on stage, but when they break out into the fantasy songs, I cringe such as the stupid cheerleader song this ep and the Break your Window thing. Then it just reminds me of HSM and I don't want that. The best song was when they two groups were sneaking a practice together and doing their own thing, with no rehearsed background music.

And I agree, way too much Sue this ep. I hope that's all she gets this year because it was just too much. She has to come in little spurts, because if we get too much from her than we sympathize with her and her character loses that edge she has.

October 15 2009 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply