September 2, 2014

The Cleveland Show gets a full second season

by Brad Trechak, posted Oct 15th 2009 5:47PM
The Cleveland ShowNot that the future of this series was ever in doubt, but Fox has extended its original season-and-a-half order of The Cleveland Show to a full two seasons. Given the strong premiere ratings for the show, seasons beyond number two will likely be in the bag. If Fox didn't extend, they'd have to deal with an irate Seth MacFarlane who currently controls most of their Sunday night line-up.

Is The Cleveland Show going to end up being more popular than its progenitor Family Guy? Do these ratings simply represent a high initial interest in the new show that will wane over time? I have used the analogy of The Jeffersons spinning off from All In The Family, but did The Jeffersons ever beat All In The Family in the ratings?

Whatever the case, Seth MacFarlane doesn't have to worry about it for at least two seasons, and probably longer.

[Watch clips and free episodes of The Cleveland Show at SlashControl]

Adam

@Frank,

Its great to know when you don't agree with others opinions and post support for show you like, you get criticized. Oh an what a snappy quip by the way, very original. I'll have to use that one later.

If you were a fan of some of the older comedy shows centered around black families, you will probably like this show, the tone is somewhat similar.

I'm a TV fan, not a Seth MacFarlane fan. I personally am getting a little tired of Family Guy. Oh lets do an episode where Peter finds our he's a jew and recycle old jokes from the one where he finds out hes black. And lets do another movie parody! As an overall product, Family Guy is amazingly funny, but this season it's the same old same old.

October 16 2009 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

I have seen every Family Guy episode at least 5 times. I watched it when it was first out. I have watched all the American dad episodes. The Cleveland Show is funnier than American Dad. I think it has the potential to pass Family Guy in ratings and quality. It's more focused, the jokes are funnier, and the character of Cleveland isn't as one dimensional as Peter and Steve. One is an idiot, and the other is a man child idiot who should have never had a chance to procreate. Cleveland has his silly or dumb moments, but he seems more realistic, even his wife seems more realistic. I love all the shows, but The Cleveland show is a fantastic spin off and will hopefully continue to be great.

October 16 2009 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Adam's comment
Frank

Thanks for posting, Seth.

October 16 2009 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I agree with everyone else. I watch both "Family Guy" and "American Dad", and usually enjoy them both. But "Cleveland" is horrible, awful stuff. It's sad that the ratings don't show that, but it's not the first bad show to get lots of viewers.

October 15 2009 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KenMo

I don't understand it... what mouth-breathers are watching this.

The few minutes I've forced myself to watch have only equaled Family Guy in the quality of the animation.

Oh well. Good for Seth for getting away with selling this crap. I'm jealous.

October 15 2009 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RevJonathan

But....it wasn't funny...

October 15 2009 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to RevJonathan's comment
Rob

At all.

And I love Family Guy.

October 15 2009 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gixman

Have you seen the Simpson-family Guy- Cleveland Show formula, Animated version http://www.gixman.com/reciclaje-de-ideas-los-programas-animados-acutales-la-misma-formula/

December 02 2009 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply