December 21, 2014

Yo Gabba Gabba! returns to amuse, confuse, terrify kids

by John Scott Lewinski, posted Oct 15th 2009 11:01AM
Yo Gabba Gabba! and its colorful cast are returning to entertain (and maybe scare) little kids.Disclaimer: Children should not take Acid. In fact, no one should sample LSD, but children should really stay away.

That said, speaking theoretically, if kids did drop a soaked sugar cube or six, they would see visions potentially less bizarre than what they take in during an episode of Yo Gabba Gabba(!). The Nick, Jr. and Noggin show is back this week with new episodes for fascinated children and really high adults.

A lot of kids love it. It's colorful, kinetic, and everybody involved keeps a smile on their face -- even the bizarre anthropomorphized, toys-turned-life size characters -- Muno (red cyclops), Foofa (pinkish bow thing), Brobee (the green monster with no elbows) ), Toodee (the blue cat) and Plex (the yellow, 50s-ish robot).

Yo Gabba Gabba makes Teletubbies look like a Bergman film -- making the show as popular with wide-eyed (possibly tipsy) adults and their bemused kids. However, I have seen some children wet themselves with shock after just a few minutes.

But, smart remarks aside, the show premiered in the U.S. on Nickelodeon in 2007 and ranks as one of the most popular series on television for preschoolers, according to a Nick, Jr. report. It won a BAFTA Award and an "Outstanding Achievement in Children's Television" Award by the Television Critics Association in 2008. So what do I know?

New episodes premiere at 1 p.m. ET/PT daily. Adults can record it and play it back after the kids are in bed and before the buzz wears off.

filminghiphop

Yo Gabba Gabba is dope. And to top it off they are releasing a soundtrack to the show's songs on Oct. 20 (including Lovely, Love My Family!!)

October 15 2009 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to filminghiphop's comment
Dee

That's fantastic news! Can't wait!

October 15 2009 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sapphire

My son looooves this show. I am a first time mother and I know that if I need to get something done, just turn on an episode of Yo Gabba Gabba! I have to admit, I watch it with him most of the time. He loves that I can sing the songs to him in the car of wherever we are. It is a sure cry stopper.

October 15 2009 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dee

Can't forget about the great music on this show! I can't get "Lovely, Love My Family" by The Roots out of my head ever since I heard it!

October 15 2009 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PJ

My 17 month old LOVES Yo Gabba Gabba. Its one of the few things that grabs her attention for more than 5 seconds. She has the biggest crushes on Plex the robot and DJ Lance and will squeal and clap everytime she sees them. The music and songs on this show are not as annoying as other kids programs (see any of the programs on Baby TV channel). In fact, some sound pretty good.

And thanks Pingles..It was driving me crazy who the drawing guy was.

October 15 2009 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pingles

As a first-time father to an infant I love the show both for me and my daughter.

Nickelodeon has an infant-oriented channel (with no ads...NICE!) with a variety of shows including Yo Gabba Gabba.

Some are standard, nauseating be-nice-to-your-little-brother fare. Others are clever and throw a shout-out to the parents on occasion.

Yo Gabba Gabba reminds me of Pee-Wees Playhouse in that it is peculiar, odd, funny and sweet.

It helps that they have a guest dancer every show (last one I saw was Andy Samberg) and Mark Mothersborough (of Devo) does a drawing lesson every once in a while.

Great Show.