October 31, 2014

Community: Advanced Criminal Law

by Jason Hughes, posted Oct 16th 2009 1:19AM
Ken Jeong (Community)(S01E05) Hmmm, I'm not even sure what it was. I still really like Community, and there were some moments that I recognized as humorous throughout this episode. And yet, I found myself kind of bored with most of it. Maybe it's me.

There was certainly plenty going on, with Señor Chang on the warpath because someone cheated on their Spanish test, Abed learning the highly cultured art of "messing with" someone, and Annie recruiting Pierce to write the new school song. You have the Dean running around still pretending the community college is Harvard or Brown, while Jeff's friend, Professor Duncan, began his quest to beat Jeff into Britta's pants.

I will state, officially for the record, that I am about as done with Britta constantly accusing Jeff of only wanting to get together with her. We're five episodes in and it's getting tired. Either he is or he isn't, but I don't need to hear about it in every scene they have together.

I did get a kick out of the tribunal being at a $6000 table right next to the college's pool, but the rest of the proceedings were, and I hate to keep using this word, boring. Also, Britta established during this episode that she has a problem with dishonesty. This is why even after she was exonerated and the blame for her admission shifted to Chang, for threatening to flunk the whole class if no one came forward and admitted to cheating, she still insisted that she had cheated.

But earlier in her "testimony," she said she hadn't written the cheat sheet. Which means either she was lying, or someone helped her cheat. I want to know more. Good lord, what am I doing? Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife) isn't going to show up and find evidence stuck to the bottom of a box or anything. Totally wrong show. My apologies.

I thought it was funny that Abed went so deep into his "messing with" Troy in pretending that he was an alien. Troy's pretty dumb, so there was a chance he might have fallen for it, but as further proof that Abed has no social understandings at all, he just doesn't get it. You know what we need to do? Get Abed and Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory to sit down and have lunch together. I can just imagine Sheldon's superiority kicking in because he's clearly smarter than Abed, and yet he will not be able to figure Abed out.

Equally boring, primarily because it was so predictable, was Pierce saying he could write the school's new song. And the Dean just let him play it to the whole school without hearing it first. On second thought, in that slow pan out at the end, the Dean appeared to be quite enjoying the song. Maybe he didn't recognize the tune.

I still like Community. I've grown to enjoy all of the characters and think the potential is there to be a great comedy. Right now, though, it's just performing like a good one.

[For extra credit you can stop by for clips and full episodes of Community at SlashControl.]

CC

I like this show. Much more than The Office and 30 Rock, which I have stopped watching this season (they were getting boring).

I like the "boring" atmosphere of a community college. It's something different. It's not hip like the Upper East Side. It's not Beverly Hills. It's just a boring community college - but the antics that happen make it funny.

And I like that it's more of a traditional sitcom - a lot of comedies these days have a mockumentary aspect to them. Which is okay, but you wouldn't want every show to be a mockumentary-type comedy.

October 17 2009 at 3:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The1337

This episode really scares me about the future of Community. There have mostly been funny episodes this season, but in terms of story, this episode had nothing. Between the 3 concurring stories of Britta and Jeff, Annie and Pierce, and Abed and Troy, there was almost nothing worth paying attention to. Full review of the episode.

October 16 2009 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JWB

I like Joel Mchale but he can't save this show. The characters aren't developed, the jokes aren't funny and it tries too hard.

I'm done watching. It's going nowhere.

October 16 2009 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edgore

It's not just you. After about 10 minutes I came to the conclusion that there aer better things I can be doing with my life than watching this. It's off the DVR list now.

October 16 2009 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia

I can't believe they got rid of My Name is Earl and put this mess on instead. I've watched all the episodes of Community so far and it does nothing for me. Along with Parks and Recreation (which I find only so-so) I find there is nothing to keep me watching NBC for the first hour of Thursday night TV. I think Kath and Kim was even starting to find it's stride before it was cancelled.

October 16 2009 at 7:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tingrin87

what was the song pierce copied?
i recognize the tune, but can't put my finger on it

October 16 2009 at 5:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to tingrin87's comment
royce

the way it is.

tupac also sampled it and called it changes.

October 16 2009 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

I want to like the show and it definitely has its moments but you're right, they're having a hard time making the characters relationships either funny or believable. It doesn't have to be both, but right now it's neither.

And I'm sorry, but Chevy Chase is falling completely flat on this show. He doesn't really add anything, although I will admit that the fact that the song was "Changes" was funny even though the lyrics were not.

October 16 2009 at 4:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to LRM's comment
mac

Chevy Chase is falling completely flat? I totally disagree. Maybe last night, yeah, but only because his plotline was pretty lame. I thought his little sneeze monologue a couple episodes back was funny, and in general I think his character has a lot of potential. The writers should give him a little more screen time, I think. I honestly think "Community" is one of the top 2 funniest shows on TV (right behind 30 Rock).

October 16 2009 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Funny, I though Chevy Chase falling flat used to be his shtick.

October 16 2009 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shadowracer

It's the setting. Community doesn't work in a Community College...it's too boring itself.

These characters would work better if they were in highschool, but then it would turn into Strangers with Candy redux. Which could work.

Also - the writers aren't doing enough with the characters, there relationships aren't interesting at all, they way they interact isn't interesting.

Modern Family is the King of New Comedies. Who would have thought the show with the more routine premise(a family that doesn't always get along) provides heartier laughs, while not being "cheap" or routine.

October 16 2009 at 1:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to shadowracer's comment
tingrin87

funny, i was actually thinking about how it would feel more natural as a high school comedy...

October 16 2009 at 5:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply