July 24, 2014

Parks and Recreation: Sister City

by Kona Gallagher, posted Oct 16th 2009 2:10AM
Parks & Recreation
(S02E05)
Wow. I cannot wait to see what you guys have to say about this episode. I've been of the opinion that Parks and Recreation started off shaky, but consistently got better until the season finale, which is when I truly became a fan. Then, the first four episodes of this season were not only hilarious, but allowed the characters to grow and develop.

And then this episode happened.

I really want to give the benefit of the doubt to shows I like, so I'm just going to say that, hey, maybe there's a really important, deep message about Venezuelan/US relations that I just did not get. That is why we had 30 minutes of Fred Armisen insulting both America and really, the people of Venezuela simultaneously. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I'm not saying the episode was without funny parts -- the first five minutes of the Venezuelan crew coming to Pawnee was funny, and I liked the running gag of Raul giving Tom money for every little thing. Plus, I really enjoyed April's disaffected romance with her fellow intern. However, there wasn't anything that truly made me laugh out loud in this episode, and that's a shame. Considering how hysterically funny last week's episode was, I feel very let down.

While I really didn't find this episode funny, there were some character elements that I did like. The backbone Leslie has been steadily growing this season was in effect, which I always enjoy seeing. Yes, she capitulated to Raul and his crew perhaps a bit too much, but she was trying to be polite. When it really came down to it, Leslie stood up for herself and tore that check up.

The best part, however, was the end when Tom took the hundreds of dollars he had made from being the Venezuelan's errand boy and donated it to the park fund. Although Tom is probably the funniest character on the show, he's often a caricature. This small scene allowed him to show his human side, which just makes him more interesting. It was subtle and very effective -- pretty much the opposite of everything else in this episode.

[Watch clips and episodes of Parks and Recreation at SlashControl.]

cv

My wife is from Venezuela and I have been there plenty of times, so I initially was excited to see this episode. It sucked because it portrayed the people of Venezuela as arrogant, demeaning, and ideologically unified.
I am sick of Fred Armisted blackface routine - its repugnant. If I ever see him I am going to kick his ass.

October 19 2009 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cv's comment
Arnold

your stupid

November 13 2009 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Corey D

I thought the episode was hilarious and on par with the rest. April saying her mom is Puerto Rican and this is why she is so lively and colorful was hilarious. The running gag of everyone wanting to have the large black woman was hilarious. Ron's talking head on how he dislikes Chavez, but that he makes a sweet ass pistol and his quick draw was hilarious. It definitely had different pacing than the rest of the season, but was just as wonderful I believe.

October 16 2009 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hassan

This was a great episode. This show has turned the corner. Fred armisten was great. Give him an Emmy

October 16 2009 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ColinInLA

Could this be a leftover or something pushed to the back of the bin? Amy still looked preggers, no?

In any event, not up to the quality of the others this season.

October 16 2009 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beanspants1

You didn't think the jail part was funny or the guesses at miscommunication?

Undercooked fish? Jail
Overcooked chicken? Jail

FA: I thought I did a pretty good job of explaining. My country (points to patch on sleve) Venezuela has a lot of oil (food for cars).

---------
Honestly I thought it was a hilarious send up on how small towns in middle America do the best they can, but are still looked down upon by residents of cities with more money and culture.

IE: it was a send-up of the 'flyover state' idea, which if you asked me is a pretty popular point of contention in the US.

In order to not offend viewers in LA or NY or Boston, they put Venezuela as the offender. The way he was describing Miami (the food is so spicy and it just bleeds culture) made it pretty obvious.

If you didn't think it was funny, then don't ever make a 'flyover state' joke again. Not that you have, I'm just saying.

October 16 2009 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GG59

It was a reasonable attempt at satire of US/Venezuelan relations, though it felt a little heavy handed at times.

The episode wasn't an entire loss at all; a lot of good humour emanated from the supporting cast, especially Tom's recurring gag, April's storyline etc.

October 16 2009 at 4:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

Yeah...not really sure what they were going for with this episode...

October 16 2009 at 4:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply