October 31, 2014

Survivor Samoa: Walking on Thin Ice

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Oct 16th 2009 1:55AM
Evil Russell dressed for success on Survivor Samoa
(S19E05) We're into the fifth episode of Survivor and I'm still getting some of the cast mixed up. True, they're mostly on the larger Galu tribe -- the ones who keep winning, yet we only see a focus on a select few. We all know "Good" Russell and Shambo. Did you know that someone named Brett is on the Galu tribe? No. Really, I'm not kidding. He got some airtime tonight. At this point, they could stick in stunt doubles and we wouldn't know the difference!

I was hoping that the extremely out-numbered Foa Foa tribe would keep up the momentum this week after their first immunity win in the last episode. I'm not all that keen on them (although Dr. Mick could be my doctor anytime!). But I hate to see the tribe member numbers so out of whack. Plus, I barely know the Galu tribe. If the tribe numbers were more even, we'd see more airtime with them.

What I'm seeing of Galu isn't thrilling me. I thought I'd like Good Russell because Evil Russell was so slimy. What I'm seeing of him is that he might be good in challenges, but the man doesn't know how to be a good leader at all. Maybe they should send him off to one of those corporate bonding sessions out in the woods to make him a more effective leader. Oh. He is in the woods. Never mind.

The only other one on the tribe I feel I know at all is Shambo. Alas, she should be called Shambles. While I agree with her that work needs to be done and she's strong in challenges, she's like a Calamity Jane around the camp -- losing a chicken and breaking fishing gear. Dave is somewhat interesting. His mouth is likely to do him in. And, gosh. We would "lose the awesomeness that is Dave." He said he's awesome, not me.

Tonight's reward challenge is but one of the reasons I would never go on the show -- the icky food challenge. I can never fault anyone for not doing well in this event. My gag reflex would make them call the medics and ship me out on a helicopter. So, kudos to all of them for doing their best ... even to Ashley who couldn't finish. Thus, the win went to Galu and we're back to that again.

The immunity also went to Galu. Despite their best efforts, Evil Russell and Liz just couldn't bear the weight of all the coconuts against Good Russell and Natalie. So the decimated Foa Foa has to lose yet another tribemate. Russell couldn't scheme because a bad storm kept them all huddled in their shelter. As a result, the most logical person was voted out -- Ashley, the weakest. Russell had wanted to target Liz because she had the audacity to tell him she thinks he's lying about not having the immunity idol.

For me, this episode was just so-so. I see things that are going to develop more down the road. I fear that Jaison is going to quit or campaign to get voted out. That would be a shame, as he seemed like one of the strongest and more intelligent people on the show. I'm sure that Evil Russell will target Liz his next chance. Over on Galu, I think that Good Russell's chip on his shoulder might be knocked off by his tribe. Shambo will probably remain a Shambles with a mullet. For me, the merge can't come soon enough. How about you?

[Watch episodes and clips of Survivor over at SlashControl.]

Will Galu win it all again next week?
Yes, they rule33 (17.9%)
No, Foa Foa will make a comeback26 (14.1%)
Just bring on the merge125 (67.9%)

Schweinhagen Rita

I think that both Russells could be eliminated and then let the games begin with real people. Jaison should speak up a little more...he's an extremely interesting person. None of the girls are making any noise right now to impress me with the exception of Shambo. Sounds like someone else will leave with a medical problem. Will that shorten the show? Rita

October 16 2009 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhatI

I'm still wondering if the producers told the contestants they couldn't plant a fake immunity item - I know it's been done before, but with the other tribe's member coming over and getting clues about it, it would be even more interesting to see a fake idol in play this season. With Russell playing mind games, you'd think he would have made at least one fake, if not a few. Could you imagine if people kept coming back with immunity necklaces - which one is real? are any of them real? do they have the real one? did the other tribe plant these or did the first visiting tribe member find it and plant a fake for the other tribe to find after leaving?

October 16 2009 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

I think Jeff was really enjoying the reward challenge. His face lite up with twisted pleasure handing over those nasty shakes. I almost expected a manacle laugh thrown in.

October 16 2009 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I usually really dislike when they mix the tribes prior to the merge, but in this case I think it would be best.

Also, as holier than thou as Russell S. was regarding Shambo losing the chicken, maybe he should be banished next week for throwing away their opportunity for a tarp.

He doesn't seem to do anything, except have a big head over being named, "chief". Whatever. He's just a loser, if you ask me. He can't start an f'n fire when there's actual fire already there??? WHAT?!?! It wasn't embers, it was fire. And what was he doing? Building material to burn? Nah... he was trying to light single twigs and somehow turn that into a bonfire... he's an idiot.

And why is it that Shambo lost the chicken? Because on a tribe of 10 people, she's the one doing the lion's share of the work around camp while they're doing yoga, being stupid, or talking trash... she only lost that chicken because that lazy ass put her in charge. Why? Why didn't the whole tribe look after their most precious resource? To give that doofus a scapegoat... clearly.

October 16 2009 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

I noticed the weird beard on Russell H. too. What is up with those holes in it?

I'm looking forward to the merge too, just because it may bring some excitement back to the game. Everything has been a bit too predictable lately.

Russell S. is getting on my nerves. That decision of comfort over function really bit him in the butt and the bickering over starting that fire was ridiculous.

It's about four more shows until the merge, right? Can't happen soon enough. I really want to see that chubby little weird-bearded gnome out of there.

October 16 2009 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

How about Evil Russell and BL's Trazey running the Amazing Race together? That would rock.

October 16 2009 at 8:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steve probst

they are going to shuffle the tribes very soon.

October 16 2009 at 3:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steve probst

they are going to shuffle the tribes very soon

October 16 2009 at 3:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

The biggest question for me coming out of this episode is, "what the hell is up with the crop circles in Evil Russell's beard?"

October 16 2009 at 2:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I'm right there with you on the nasty food challenge. I had to flip the channel & watch Flashforward (even though I'm taping it for viewing later) because I about get sick just seeing all that slimmy stuff. I could never do the challenge myself. And, that weather would have probably done me in as well.

I hope, like you, that Jaison doesn't quit or give up. He seems cool. Good Russell seems fine at the start, but I'm beginning to dislike him.

October 16 2009 at 2:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply