The Vampire Diaries: Lost Girls
by Jane Boursaw, posted Oct 16th 2009 5:47AM
(S01E06) "Everything you know and every belief that you have is about to change. Are you ready for that?" - Stefan to Elena
And to finish that thought ... "I'm a vampire." So Elena knows now; no more speculating or wondering. My first thought was that Elena knows that Stefan is a good vampire. He even races to tell her: "I would never hurt you. You're safe with me." So why is she so freaked out? Because he's a vampire, of course, and who wouldn't be freaked out by that?
I'm loving The Vampire Diaries.
Ok, so I get that vampires never age -- I've watched Buffy and Angel and True Blood -- I'm somewhat vampire savvy. But what I'm wondering is why Elena is a dead ringer for Katherine. I missed an episode a few weeks ago, so maybe someone can fill me in on that (I'll catch up this week). I'm guessing it has something to do with the Gilbert watch and its powers, too.
Loved the whole thing about Damon wanting his ring back from Stefan. "What'd you Fed Ex it to Rome? Where is it?!"
So we got some more information, via Elena questioning Stefan:
- He eats garlic. We knew this.
- The sun isn't an issue because they have rings that protect them.
- Crucifixes? Decorative.
- Holy water? Drinkable.
- Mirrors? Myth.
- Animal blood keeps him alive; Stefan doesn't feed on humans.
- Forcing Damon not to do something is more dangerous than letting him do it. He was feeding on Caroline, but he used mind control so she didn't know what was happening to her.
- The residents of Mystic Falls used to be aware of vampires, "and it didn't end well for anybody." That's why it's important that Elena not tell anyone.
- The necklace Elena wears contains Vervain, which protects her from vampire powers; Stefan tells her she should never take it off, so that she'll always be free to make her own choices.
- Stefan's been 17 years old since 1864. It appears that Katherine turned both he and Damon (from what I could tell), and tried to use mind control so they'd keep the secret from each other.
Stefan may be noble and fine, but Damon is a really fun character, and darkly sexy with his blood-swapping foreplay and all. I didn't really see him turning Vicki, but they're sort of perfect for each other in their own damaged ways. Last week, I said I wouldn't mind if Damon killed Vicki because she was so annoying. But I really felt for her this week, being turned and having to move forward with that. I wonder if she'll be ticked at Damon or drawn to him.
Elena says she can't be with Stefan? I bet she'll come around.