April 20, 2014

Hank to be replaced by Charlie Brown

by Brad Trechak, posted Oct 17th 2009 1:31PM
HankIn what must be a major slap in the face to Kelsey Grammer and the creators behind Hank, ABC is pre-empting the show on October 28th with the Halloween classic It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Wait, it gets worse. It's pre-empting the show with a repeat of It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown from the night before. Granted, the previous night will be the expanded, hour-long version, but still...

Admittedly, opinions of Hank haven't exactly been stellar. Quite the opposite, in fact. While the show has not actually been canceled, it does not seem long for this world. Its only consolation is that it lasted longer than The Beautiful Life.

Kelsey Grammer will never be able to get away from Frasier Crane, much like Carroll O'Connor was never able to get away from Archie Bunker. It's a shame since Grammer is a better actor than that.

Marc

Kelsey Grammer is a victim of his own success. Frasier was such a great character and show and he has been typecast as such. People can't seeem to see him as anything else.

He hasn't done himself any favours as he is basically playing variations of the same character over again. In "Hank" and his previous effort "Back To You" he plays basically upper class stuck up guys.

October 28 2009 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Letterman had a great line a week or two ago. I don't recall the set-up, but the punchline was about being able to observe subtle differences in characters played by Kelsey Grammer.

October 19 2009 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

Does this mean Zoe will come back to Eureka?

October 19 2009 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

Replace this thing with Better off Ted......

October 18 2009 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

I don't know, when I watched Carroll O'Connor as Chief Gillepsie on in the heat of the night, I really never thought hey its Archie.

October 17 2009 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ðan's comment
anthony

Especially when he started getting busy with a black woman...

October 17 2009 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

ha ha I loves it, I will definitely watch Charlie Brown finaly something good in that timeslot ;)

October 17 2009 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

Maybe Grammer should give sitcoms a rest. Most sitcoms haven't been doing well lately anyways.

I would love to see him reprise his cameo role from Star Trek: TNG as Captain Bateson as the new Star Trek series...with Ron Moore producing it!

October 17 2009 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Edward's comment
Jeff N.

Yes, I think Kelsey Grammar should do dramas only for awhile to put distance between him and the Frasier Crane Character.

October 17 2009 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe Siegler

Hank isn't nearly as bad as it's being said it is. Now I'm not claiming it's all that great. Back to You was better than Hank. But I have gotten some chuckles out of Hank.

The Ice Cream shop episode was actually pretty good.

October 17 2009 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joe Siegler's comment
Chris

@Joe Siegler

Seriously? Sigh..This show is cringe worthy in its awfulness. Next I guess you'll be saying that that Brothers isn't that bad either?

October 18 2009 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AngryBob

That's what I need to do - try another accent; yeah, that's it.

October 17 2009 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anthony

I think Grammar suffers from T.M.M. (too much money)

He's made so much from Cheers & Frasier that he seems to be unwilling or uninterested in straying too far from his comfort zone. Hank's not the worst show I've ever seen, but it's nothing I'll miss when it's gone either.

October 17 2009 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to anthony's comment
Pingles

I'm not sure that's fair.

Chances are good that he is being given choices like this:

"Hey, I have a sitcom where you play the same character you've always played and I'll pay you $8 million a year!"

vs.

"We have a new show and would like you to play this supporting character that is a departure for you and we can pay you $250,000 a year!"

I'd like to think that I would choose my "craft" over a payday but it would be tough to pass on the big bucks.

October 17 2009 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply