July 31, 2014

What Patricia Heaton is doing right in The Middle

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 17th 2009 9:03AM
Patricia_Heaton_The_Middle
I wasn't really prepared to like The Middle. I had no expectations, really, because aside from knowing that it was Patricia Heaton's latest sitcom, there had been very little scuttlebutt about it. So, when I tuned in, I expected the typical Patty Heaton I had seen for years on Everybody Loves Raymond or the upscale version I'd watched on Back to You.

Well, what a surprise when I saw her on The Middle. This is a Patty I had never seen before, and I not only liked her character, I admire her performance.

On The Middle, there's nothing about Frankie Heck that's particularly positive or pretty or fun. The character has a tough life, even if she does love her family and manage to muddle through. Still, Frankie's not a downer. But to Heaton's credit, she's also not a carbon copy of other working class moms. She's not doing Roseanne and she's not Jane Kaczmarek in Malcolm in the Middle. Frankie's her own creation.

Not to kick a guy while he's down, but Heaton's former costar on Back To You, Kelsey Grammer, might've been smart to take a lesson from her. On Hank, Grammer should have stretched and done something different with the character. Instead, he's just a variation on himself. He's shown his limitations. Heaton, on the other hand, has shown her range. Good for Patty. She's made The Middle worth watching.

lucy caruso

WE LOVE PATRICIA, SO MUCH>> SHE WAS GREAT AND IS GREAT IN ALL OF HER EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND, AND WE ENJOYED EVERY, EPISODE, AND CONTINUE TO WATCH THE RE-RUNS, OF THAT SHOW.>
SHE IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST AND WHATEVER SHE DOES AS WE HAVE OBSERVED, SHE GIVE'S MORE THAN SHE IS EXPECTED TO GIVE... SHE DEFINITELY IS A NATURAL IN HER CRAFT> SO APPRECIATE GREAT TALENT.>>

December 08 2009 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim w

i love pat but i think the show is too far out.she is too sexy and good looking to play a house wife ,her other show was good,they just didnot have the right people around her.

October 23 2009 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

I love the Middle, and kinda like Hank....one thing about Hank I hate is the cartoonish brother in law. The character is almost a parody of the stock wacky family member.

October 19 2009 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shawn

It is a GREAT show! I really like this show and hope nothing happens to it, let's keep up the positive talk about The Middle. It's well acted and well written.

While I disagree with your thoughts on Hank. I do think The Middle is a better show then Hank.

I like Hank, it's funny and well acted but just not as well as The Middle!

October 18 2009 at 11:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

and the guy who was the janitor from scrubs is really good as well - surprisingly, he's able to make me forget that other rather iconic character immediately. actually, the whole cast is excellent - the daughter is hilarious, the son is great, and brian doyle murray is always welcome on my tv (he's also the voice of captain k'nuckles on the awesome cartoon the marvelous misadventures of flapjack).

October 18 2009 at 3:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

its nice to see that people recognice the work and the effort of that show:) i am also happy that patty is back on tv . and i relate so much to frankie. patty plays her perfect and sweet:)

October 17 2009 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

well said. and so true also. i miss everybody loves raymond because i loved patty in that show and i am very happy that she is back and playing this woman and this mother frankie heck. i really hope the show last cause it is funny, exciting, sweet and fun, fun and fun!! hehe:)

October 17 2009 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

i agree soo much with you. i love the new show the middle and patricia is great as always:):) she is an amazing actress. and she delivers 100% in every single scene she does. cant wait for the next episode:):)

October 17 2009 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply