July 31, 2014

Stargate Universe is starting to remind me of Firefly

by Jane Boursaw, posted Oct 18th 2009 9:03AM
Stargate Universe: Darkness, Julia Anderson as Sgt. Vanessa JamesOk, first of all, I think I already have a bit of a girl-crush on Sgt. Vanessa James. I mean, for cripes sakes, look at her. And I love that she told the guys she could whup their ass. You do not want to cross her.

Four episodes into Stargate Universe, and I'm starting to get hooked. I like that this week's episode, "Darkness," took place mainly on the ancient ship Destiny, which looks ultra-cool flying through space. The whole thing has a Firefly feel to it.

I'm also starting to get a better feel for the storyline and characters, thanks in part to their little bio recordings engineered by Eli. Most of the crew are in their 20s or 30s, and most would rather be anywhere but there.

I appreciated them trying to figure out the ship's systems -- waste, water, showers, etc. As some of the commenters have said, that probably would have been first on the list of things to do three episodes ago, even if Dr. Rush was having some power issues of his own.

Dr. Rush is kind of an ass, isn't he (understatement of the year)? I thought he was going to spontaneously combust or something. At the very least, he has some anger management issues. Even geniuses should think about others' feelings once in a while.

There was some interesting interaction this week -- Col. Young's little talk with Dr. Rush, Eli's weird intervention staged by the crew, and the whole thing with Col. Young visiting his wife in Col. Telford's body. At least, I think that's how it went down.

Anyone else see a love triangle brewing between Eli, Chloe and Lt. Scott?

Let me know your thoughts on this week's episode. I'm looking forward to next week.

Mikes

Thus far, as much as I like the characters and enjoyed the first couple episodes, I am not liking the direction this show is taking. One of those ENDLESS, we are having yet another ship crisis, kinds of plot themes. If this continues, I may stop watching it for that alone.

Sgt. Vanessa James, all I can say is BITCH in uniform, she didn't earn those stripes I can tell you that, not realistic for a sergeant to behave the way she does. And just because she has big boobs, people like her? I wrote her character off almost at the beginning, and certainly when she mislead Eli and the bunch demanded he tell them what was up. If I were him, I would have told ALL of them where to go right after, YOU ARE ALL GONNA DIE. The coward. Hopefully he will grow a pair as the series progresses and hopefully Sgt. Vanessa James dies a particularly nasty way.

October 26 2009 at 4:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Not Bitter

Lame, boring Battlestar rip off. They should have just made it a different universe instead of tarnishing Stargate.

October 20 2009 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

This show has a lot of potential, and I really do want to like it, but so far it is very slow going. This weeks episode

was about wandering around in the dark with not much happening, the week before was wandering around in the sand with not much happening and it appears that next week it will be wandering to close to the sun with probably not much happening. Lets get on with it already! This ship is full of highly trained military people and highly educated scientists. You would think that they would quickly go about a disciplined, intelligent and logical plan of checking out the ship and finding out what the hell is up with the frakking thing. But, as other posters have noted, most of the people are sitting around doing squat, Rush is being an overly emotional prick who imagines he understands the situation so much more than anyone else, but still hasnt accomplished much, except to alienate everyone, Eli, who was praised for "working the problem" has mostly been farting around with the Keno dohickey and wasting time mooning over the spoiled and disagreeable senators daughter. Col. Young pretends to be a decisive, in charge commander while his soldiers shoot civilians with impunity, scream in the faces of a senator and a superior officer and flail about in a lethargic state of near and at times actual panic. That is, when they arent having sex in a storage room in the middle of a supposed crisis. Because, wouldnt that be everyones first order of business upon arriving on board an alien space ship traveling through the galaxy at faster than light speed? Wouldnt you, just as quickly as humanly possible, scamper off to a closet and do the nasty? Mile High Club my ass!! Look at this shit here, son!!!
Hopefully, all this disjointed, unrealistic and flat out ludicrous behavior will lead to something worthwhile and entertaining sometime soon. As I said, I really want to like this show, just give me something to work with. Sgt. James mind-boggling rack will only distract me for so long, you know!

October 19 2009 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

The problem I have with Dr. Rush is that for some reason he just assumes that everyone knew they were having all kinds of different problems. The problem with that is he never told anyone. Just because he figured out that the air exchange was broken and the power levels were very low doesn't mean everyone else knew. The way he goes around yelling at everyone for doing what they are supposed to do (like finding out what the ship can do) is making me hate him. If you do not communicate with someone no one knows what is going on. If he would have bothered to tell that one officer who found the recharging station that they were having power problems he would have turned it off instead of charging everything in site and the power might have lasted longer.

But he thinks he is the smartest guy in the room (ship) and does not have to explain himself to anyone. Will someone just shoot him! They can use the stones and connect with Daniel Jackson and he can walk around the ship and translate. He is better at it anyway.

If I was there and there was a choice between the jerk scientist and the colonel to be in charge I am picking the colonel. At least the colonel had enough sense to have people start looking around the ship to see what systems it has (waste water treatment for example) and not lock himself up in a room and not communicate.

October 19 2009 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joe

I, for one, am starting to like it. And I love my SF. From BSG to Stargate. Not every SF serie has to be the same.

I don't think every stargate serie had someone as heatble as Rush. Daiel et Samantha were good and nice people. McKay was a likeable jackasse.
Rush ? Not as intelligent as he belives, coward and .....
there's nothing likeable to him.
I like that, and the fact that every one is lost and the crew'unable' to work. unlike the other stargate crew, they were'nt trained for that. They don't know their way around or even what they're supposed to do. make sense for me. I would find it pretty unbelivable if they were to act 'normaly' et whith efficiency.

October 19 2009 at 6:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adnk

finally a stargate serie you don't have to be ashamed of watching, all the other stargate series that have been has been painfully bad, now this reminds me of battlestar galactica, a real scifi show!

October 19 2009 at 4:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Creep

Wow, Julia Anderson. She is a talented young lady. I appreciate her mind the most. I think I might have to give this show a shot.

October 19 2009 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Saurin

I dont get why Dr. Rush is so Emo! He is basically telling everyone there is a giant problem and everyone else just doesnt understand. They just dont understand!!!!

And why is Lou Diamond Phillips hellbent on messing with the entire ship. Its like he missed the boat and wants to be there all the time.

This show is getting way too serious, its almost pretentious. At least with firefly there was comedy/camaraderie. The characters would play of each other. In this the characters are probably going to kill each other.

October 18 2009 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris

This is my first foray into the Stargate shows. I really like it. I like Col. Young. Cool character. Am I supposed to despise Col. Telford because I do and wouldn't mind that character not to appear again. Sgt. James is fun to look at.

October 18 2009 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mich

IMO, this show has more in common with ST:Voyager than BSG, because although they are far from home and struggling to survive, they are not completely cut off, and primarily through the characters of Rush and Eli, we get to see the wonder of discovery, something both Star Trek and the previous Stargates had in spades.

Also, SGU comes pre-loaded with the Stargate mythology, spanning years, countless characters and Earth cultures, and rolicking good fun. Although the producers say that they won't delve too far into what's already been established, I like knowing that it's there. It's always been a framework that the writers could build upon and expand rather than an overarching plot point that overwhelms everything else, thus limiting story possibilities and character development.

October 18 2009 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply