August 2, 2014

I'm psyched about Crystal Chappell's return to Days of Our Lives

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 19th 2009 10:03AM
crystal_chappell_cbsI'm still not really over the end of Guiding LIght, but if there's one thing soap fans know, you have to move on. You get over the end of Santa Barbara, mourn the loss of Another World, remember forever that before vampires were in vogue in prime time, Barnabus Collins ruled daytime, despite rickety sets and off-the-rack costumes.

That said, even while people are saying that soaps are dead -- or dying -- I'm excited about Crystal Chappell returning to Days of Our Lives.

You want to know how excited? I'm going to watch. After Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn were unceremoniously dumped by the soap, I drifted away. But I'm willing to give Days another try, especially because my curiosity has been piqued about Crystal's return.

You see, her character -- Carly Manning Alamain -- has been off the canvas since 1993. But you know what? I watched Days of Our Lives in 1993 and I liked Carly. I cared about the character. And I'm still invested enough to tune in.

Here's a little tease from NBC with Crystal and her costars -- Peter Reckell as Bo and Kristian Alfonso as Hope -- about what to expect.

Crystal made a few brief appearances in the last week or so, but this week things start heating up when she finally gets to Salem.

Oh, by the way, I'm not expecting Carly to be Olivia, Crystal's character on Guiding Light. She was something special and the way GL wrapped up her story with Natalia was rather groundbreaking for daytime.

[Check out more from Days of Our Lives at SlashControl.]

Otalia69

Brava!!! There isn't enough that can be said about the true GODDESS of Daytime!!! Remember, 'It's Crystal Chappell's world, we're just lucky to live in it!' She loves her fans as much or more than they love her and she gives back 1000%. We are all Chappelled & fuCCed whether we know it or not!
Welcome back, Crystal! You had us at....Bo! Much love & success to you and your family always!

October 23 2009 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

Allison thanks for the shout out about Crystal Chappell returning to DOOL. "Paging Dr. Manning" is something I have looked forward to hearing again for many years. I'm sure she will bring her own style of CPR to Salem. She is an exceptional and multi-dimensional actor. This is going to be so much fun! Color me psyched too.

October 20 2009 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
floopinfiona

I'm so happy Crystal Chappell is on DOOL! I haven't been hooked on a soap in many years(since Another World!), but CC's performance as Olivia swept me away and I had to watch every day. I am tuning into DOOL for the first time JUST to see her performance as Carly 2.0!

October 20 2009 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

Another World WOOOOT one of my faves and its 2 spin-offs Somerset and Texas had my viewership

AND yes Vampire Barnabas Collins of the gothic, supernatural, time-travelling, spooky soap opera (though I liked calling them washboard weepers) Dark Shadows was the best VAMP. Can't wait for the Tim Burton directed Johnny Depp starring NEW Dark Shadows movie to hit the theatres.

October 19 2009 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
twetty3770

very excited about the SL between Bo, Carly and Hope. Finally soem real drama on DOOL

October 19 2009 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

Love Crystal Chappell!

October 19 2009 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AlteredStates

I'm psyched too. Crystal was brilliant on GL and I can't wait to see her work her magic on DAYS.

October 19 2009 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gooby

Definitely psyched about Crystal Chappell return to Days. And super psyched about her upcoming online web series Venice http://www.venicetheseries.com

October 19 2009 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

Thank you for referencing Another World. I still do miss it!

October 19 2009 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Courtney's comment
rjbtrdx

Me too. I love hearing Cass Winthrop's voice in recent BMW commercials. I miss him so.

October 19 2009 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply