Review: How I Met Your Mother - Duel Citizenship
by Joel Keller, posted Oct 19th 2009 11:58PM
(S05E05) Sometimes an episode of HIMYM is full of "mythology" advancement. Sometimes it explores the romantic relationships between the characters. Sometimes there's a goofy website or video to accompany the episode. But sometimes, HIMYM just tells one or two semi-isolated stories. Last year, many of those episodes weren't all that great. But this season is different; everything's been funny, including the mostly silly episode we got tonight.
Which reminds me... I have to figure out where to get a hold of some Tantrum. That stuff is more powerful than 12-Hour Sudafed.
There's really not much to talk about, story-wise: Barney tries to squeeze all the Canadian out of Robin so she can truly become an American; Marshall and Ted drive to Chicago to eat some bad pizza like they did in college, except now Lily and her tiny bladder are along for the ride.
The situations that were created to get these plots going were a bit on the absurd side. Even though Robin thinks she might get deported because a guy she had a "disagreement" with at the Hoser Hut was going to file charges, the subject never comes back up. And reliving the college road trip is always a fun thing to do, but it's never fully explained why Marshall decided to invite Lily despite the fact that this was a traditional "bros" trip with Ted.
Ted decrying the "glob" that Marshall and Lily have become seems weirdly out of place, considering the two of them have been married for over two years and together for over a decade. Didn't they go from "I" to "We" quite a long time ago?
Even with the contrivances, there was still a lot of fun to be had in this episode:
- Barney's condescending speech to what he thinks is all of Canada -- a gathering of folks at a Toronto Tim Horton's -- was the Best Barneyism of the week in a week full of good Barney anti-Canada material. For instance, he said he "flew across the Atlantic" to find Robin in Toronto.
- Thankfully, Robin let Barney get the snot beat out of him for his speech, and she took a couple of shots, too. Any girlfriend of Barney's really needs to be ready to pop him one at a moment's notice.
- That Bryan Adams / Rich Little double bill must have been killer... or maybe not.
- TANTRUM! It's so strong it gives you the strength to tear a phone book in half, and in Lily's case, ride on the top of Ted's car.
- I think I stayed at a B&B similar to Crumpet Manor last month. No cornmeal facials, though, but some good breakfasts. Never would have thought of staying there when I was single, though.
- Love the flashback scenes in the Fiero, complete with the cassingle to "I Would Walk 500 Miles" stuck in the tape deck. Go back to season two if you don't know what I mean.
- Barney's "real" American citizenship quiz, culminating in Robin insisting a picture of Jim Varney was actually Jeff Foxworthy, didn't come off as funny as you would think, even though Bays and Thomas hit on a pretty good set of belligerent American stereotypes.
- Then again, Robin does now have a little bit of both American and Canadian in her, doesn't she? So the dual citizenship should work. Nice of Canada to allow that. But then again, they're nice over there.
- The guys snuck in a comment on the Canadian health care system: Barney wasn't billed for his hospital visit after his doughnut shop beatdown. "Suckers," he said.
- That really sounded like Kenny Rogers reading "Good-bye Sparky." The best line was how he described Sparky getting "splattered like a watermelon at one of them Gallagher shows."
- Barney to Robin before her test: "I'm gonna drill you, then we're going to study." He also used "cramming" and "bone up."
- By the way, is this the end of the rich vein of Canada jokes mined by Bays and Thomas? I hope not. The Canada jokes never get old.
- I tended to go on college road trips to get good food (Rutt's Hut, anyone?). But there's something to be said for a place that makes bad food and also gives you epic food poisoning. Of couse, it could have been the many cans of TANTRUM! that Ted and Marshall drank.
- Being pampered into a stupor is a good thing. Especially when it's your girlfriend/wife who's in that stupor.
- Queen Elizabeth... Elton John... they're the same person, right, Barney?
- Why do women have such tiny bladders?
[Watch clips and free episodes of HIMYM at SlashControl.]