July 24, 2014

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia to air on Comedy Central

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Oct 21st 2009 12:42PM

The cast of FX's 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.'This was bound to happen, wasn't it?

In a TV first, a sitcom from a basic cable network has been syndicated on another basic cable network: Comedy Central has nabbed the rights to FX's It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

According to the press release, the gang from Paddy's Pub will make an appearance for the first time on Comedy Central for a limited run next summer with the long-term license window starting after the first of the year in 2011.

By then, season six of Sunny will have finished airing on FX, meaning Comedy Central will have 71 episodes of retard-bashing, semi-racist, poop-humored fun to play around with on their schedule. FX has already renewed Sunny through season seven though, so a total of 84 episodes are currently guaranteed.

While this seems like a great fit , it makes me wonder what they'd pair it with. Had Reno 911! not been canceled, that would have seemed like the obvious choice but now I'm not so sure. I mean, c'mon - have you seen Secret Girlfriend?!? At least they have over a year to develop something solid to pair with Dennis, Mac, Charlie, Dee, and Frank.

[Watch clips and full episodes from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia at SlashControl.]

Dak

well I would say sorry to anybody who doesnt like the show but that doesnt feel very sunny like so instead I will take a line from dennis and tweak it a little bit... If you dont like the show then dont tune in to watch it (If you dont like smoke then dont come into the bar) Nobody is forcing anybody to watch it and if you dont like it then you obviously dont understand it and you have no business watching it in the first place.

October 27 2009 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
goodgrief61945

How odd,, yesterday I posted about how much this show would be highly offensive to the many, many parents who have retarded or severely brain damaged children, including myself. Today, my post is gone!!

October 23 2009 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

How in the world they would not bring back Reno-911 is beyond me. That is a FUNNY show.

October 22 2009 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda

I never watched this show before, then I bought the first 2 seasons on sale this summer. My husband and I couldn't get enough. When the new season started we were excited and we watch it every Thursday night. I don't think I have ever laughed as hard watching anything before. Sure, the humor is not for everyone but I really enjoy it. You might have to start at the begining to really get the characters. I can see how they would appear annoying and self-centered, but that is just part of their charm.

October 22 2009 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

What worries me is how far they'll lighten up the content/language to make it more "appropriate". I fear the suits are about to ruin yet another fantastic show... :-(

October 22 2009 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patrick

America, America: The country of righteous people, political correctness,and religious extremist . After a long hard day at work dealing with all the work place nonsense, I can go home and laugh my head off watching Reno 911-family Guy -South Park and now Its sunny in Phily. I am a well educated person with an IQ is well above average .If you cant make fun of yourself or society in an ironic and sarcastic way,you may just give up and move to a monastery.

October 22 2009 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

i get down rated for liking secret girlfriend really?

October 22 2009 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine

If you knew anything about the show you would know that the whole premise of it is that they are A**HOLES. Not role models. Their sick behavior shows you how NOT to be. The show is the best comedy on television right now, hands down. Take a second to not be so serious and think of it from another perspective.

October 22 2009 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

They really need a name change because shouldn't Comedy Central be funny? If you're over thirteen this channel should hold no interest.

October 22 2009 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

I watched this show the first season when it was absolutely hilarious. The next season for me just got stupid and unwatchable.

October 22 2009 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply