September 30, 2014

Some interesting names may be angling for Eric Braeden's role

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 22nd 2009 6:14PM
eric_braeden_cbsWhen Eric Braeden walked out of The Young and the Restless, it was my belief that the powers that be would find some way to reach a compromise with him and Victor Newman would remain an integral part of Genoa City. However, the negotiations between Braeden and the folks at Sony turned cold.

Cold as in heartless. Considering the character Braeden has played for nearly 30 years, Victor Newman, he should have understood the daytime TV business had changed. Instead, he was insulted and -- apparently -- grew stubborn. So instead of a compromise, it looks like Braeden is really leaving.

However, today's news suggests that while he walked from a job that was asking him to take a pay cut from $1.5 million a year to $1 million a year, other actors are interested in filling Braeden's shoes. The question is this, though: can another actor play Victor Newman?

I've already written that a recast was not only likely but probably wise. My first choice is still Braeden, but listen to the names being talked about as possible additions to the cast -- Starsky & Hutch's Paul Michael Glaser, Knot's Landing's William Devane and Rich Man, Poor Man's Peter Strauss.

That's a couple of prime time Emmy winners there, and they could all play a character like Victor. I especially like the idea of Devane or Strauss, two of my all-time faves. I still remember The Missiles of October; Devane was mesmerizing as JFK. Anyway, all three might be in talks for a different role, but my gut is saying they're Newman possibilities.

And that's not all. William Russ has been cast already as a tycoon. That's it, a business tycoon. Again, is that code for a recast of the Victor Newman role, or really a new character entering the fray?

Boy, it's getting as interesting watching the behind the scenes antics at Y&R as the on screen stuff. Fans are still flipping out about the baby switch and killing off Colleen.

gloria

after sending that comment i remembered jefferys partners name ,Gloria and jeffery need to either get a new story line or they need to kill them I hope they got a pay cut cause she (Gloria) is such a bad actress.I saw her on the Heat of the night all my gosh she did not know how to act back then either. wonder how much those two get pay.
and I do agree Victor should take a pay cut there is a lot of people without jobs and at his age it will be hard to find a good one he is good at what he does but he has to thank that he does have a job. so if nickki goes with him does that mean she is also leaving the Y&R.

October 28 2009 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gloria

I am sadden to see Eric Braeden (Victor) leave Y&R I had heard he was going to stay someone tell me is he going or staying. i agree with Jennifer some of those writers should get a pay cut because what they are writing lately is not making any sense they need to fire Adam he makes me sick cant understand how and why he hasnt gotten caught give sharon back her baby take it away from ashley. they also need to change the story line with jeffrey and whats her name michael mother jeffreys so call partner they need to get those to off the story. and as for ashleys daughter abby am i the only one that see this but she does not know how to act she is a bad bad bad actress. sorry viewers this is the way i see it i am excited to see whats going to happen with lilly and her husband they are good in the story i want cc to come back as Lillys angel so dont forget to let me know is Victor coming back I hope so He cant go.

October 28 2009 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nique

Let Victor die. He was a major character, but ANYONE new will show how poor Eric Braeden was at acting. He has never been anything but stiff. I feel sorry for the truly good actors who have had to play against Eric. As for the story line--let Victor die--bring on the next generation.

October 23 2009 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Well, while I do agree that a pay cut of that magnitude would definitely tick me off too, I still realize that in this economy getting another acting job as lucrative as Y&R would probably be difficult. After all, at least he would still have a job. Tho he may surprise us all and go more mainstream or maybe he already has something else lined up in case Sony fell thru. Remember how they treated Eileen Davidson (Ashley) a little while back? Maybe he'll show up on B&B and hook up with Stephanie or Pam (LOL).

I will say this, the reason why most of my GUY friends watch Y&R to begin with is because of Eric Braeden's Victor. They've pretty much ALL said that they're not watching anymore. Well prepare for a ratings drop from South GA Sony. Here's an idea for you, fire some of those stupid writers that you're paying WAY too much and keep Eric on. They're already ruining the show enough.

October 23 2009 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Gunter

Victor should die and the next generation characters,the children of victor and their children should move on with the storyline.Victor's death would bring so much more possibilities than his survival and recasting.No other actor no matter how good can duplicate the role well enough.This isn't a minor character it is the main one.If they can't act decently and keep the actor that created the role then give the rest of the cast a chance to take the story forward.Victor's death and all that would come from it would carry the program for years.

October 22 2009 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

It's a recession Eric. You should have taken the mil. Now you have to look for work. Hope you saved some of that generous salary.

October 22 2009 at 9:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

I've heard him on KNX 1070 AM in Los Angeles bitching about it.

Poor guy. Most actors don't even a job, much less a $1+ million acting gig. Especially in this economy.

October 22 2009 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply