October 19, 2014

Top Chef Masters coming back for season two (with a new judge)

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 22nd 2009 2:02PM
Top Chef Masters
As far as I can tell, from comments on this site and other sites I've looked at, Top Chef Masters wasn't loved by fans half as much as fans love the original Top Chef. I think fans want two things from their food competition shows: more conflict and a sense that the contestant isn't necessarily a "master" at cooking (though being a chef is fine). For the most part, the chefs on the first season of Masters were nice and professional, and I think that the fact that they're all great chefs already zapped some of the tension that usually comes with the judging segments of the show. Plus the chefs competed in sections, not usually all against each other.

But Bravo must have gotten enough feedback to justify for another season (indeed - the ratings were the best ever on Bravo for the first season of a competition show) and a second season is coming. Kelly Choi will be back as host, as will judges Gael Green, James Oseland, and Jay Rayner. Joining them will be Food & Wine's Gail Simmons, a judge on the regular Top Chef.

Will you "watch what happens" this season?

Katers

Oooh, I'm excited for Gael Greene and her HATS to be back though. Almost cancels out my distaste (heh--TASTE) for Kelly Choi. (Who seems perfectly nice, but ultimately very BLEH to me.

October 23 2009 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

In some ways I like TCM better... all the food they make looks like something i'd want to eat, the show really focuses on the food, and its fun to see the people who judge go through the same trials as the regular cheftestants. Plus, I really like Raynor as a judge... I'd wish he'd replace Toby Young on regular Top Chef. Agree about Choi though... she's obviously no Padma, but she's just stiff and has no personality.

October 23 2009 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jamabam

sure, i'll take another helping of top chef: masters. i'll need it to hold me over after the vegas season is over!

October 22 2009 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

I didn't hate the show, but it needed just a bit more drama. You knew all the charities were going to get money, and the chefs really didn't have the sense of urgency that you see on the other chef competitions. It was more like a bunch of chefs got together and bet each other a bottle of wine to the winner of the competition.
I think they need to up the ante a bit to give the chefs a stronger urge to compete.
Its not bad to watch the best of the best compete, but they really need to convey the feeling they are actually competing
As to whether or not I'll watch? of course I will. There will probably be a lull in good viewing matter when it runs and it will fill a gap.
And I agree with Michael... ditch Choi, either find someone else or get Lakshmi (everyone loves to hate her on the TC show...)

October 22 2009 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I really enjoyed TC:M and I'm glad it's coming back. Yes, you don't have the drama and conflict like you do on TC. But to watch these super-experienced chefs struggle their way through the contests and twists is quite fun.

They really had to bring Kelly Choi back though? Ugh.

October 22 2009 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply