July 23, 2014

Ghost Lab haunted by dispiriting lack of spirits

by John Scott Lewinski, posted Oct 23rd 2009 7:02PM
The Ghost Lab brothers found some weight gain powder and dumbbells, but no ghosts.If a show like Top Chef never found a meal, would you watch it? If Ice Road Truckers couldn't find snow, would you pay attention?

Yet, every week, paranormal investigation shows like Ghost Hunters or Paranormal State hit the air and unveil the whole pile of absolute squat they found. Now, there's a new contender in the "Hey! Look! We found pretty much nothing!" category with the Discovery Channel's Ghost Lab.

Each week two thick slabs of Texas beef named Brad and Barry Klinge (right) take their Everyday Paranormal investigation team out into the wild haunted yonder. They come armed with their traveling "ghost lab" -- a 24-foot car hauler "capable of providing 200,000 watts of electricity to power audio, video and photo analysis stations; flat-screen televisions and an interactive touch-screen smartboard."

The lab also packs surveillance cameras, temperature, humidity and dew point data loggers various digital cameras, thermal imaging equipment, audio recorders and more than 8,000 feet of video cable. So, they can hear if a gnat breaks wind and detect a spilled Dr. Pepper. But I'm going to guess this Mystery Machine truck doesn't come packed with a lot of proof that ghosts exist.

The team then "consults with some of the world's foremost specialists in science measurements to devise and test theories during their investigations." (How are we measuring "science" these days?)

According to Discovery, Ghost Lab asks, "Is there more 'ghost activity' around water? Are spirits attached to specific items or locations? Is there a parallel universe?" I'll take a crack at saving some production costs and throw in some answers: "No. No. And, yes -- on Fringe."

There's nothing wrong with looking for ghosts. And, there's no sin in building spooky little shows around the often fruitless hobby. But can we declare a U.N. moratorium on these shows until one of them finds something more than a floating speck of dust flitting past the camera?

Oh, sorry. I meant "spirit orb."

sepsis13

Dead on, this show is such bullshit, the Discovery Channel should be ashamed.

October 16 2011 at 5:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia Tait

Summer, I think the show was done in a prison. They placed the girl in a room in total darkness. She did not hear the voice until they checked the EVP. Try going to their website and looking for the video there, then you can watch it on your pc or laptop.

August 17 2011 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe DISH

Well getting the most out of DISH is not hard. DISH where I work has several options to maximize your dollar. DISH provides HD free for life. You get 200 channels avail with this awesome pack. DISH has DISH Online to watch all your shows which I use since I don’t have time at home I just watch on my notebook. This gives me the flexibility I need to enjoy and get the most out of TV. Find out more at http://besttvforme.com/

July 26 2011 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vena

I for one like Ghost Lab. In fact I like all these type of shows to include Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventurers. Unless you have had your own truly paranormal experience, I suppose it would always seem like crap to you. I do not know if any of us really can explain many things, only speculate on them. The point is to prove there are things unseen that do exist. With all the channels available...if you do not enjoy this kind of thing, watch another channel.

January 16 2010 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

You may not like the medium, but the message is pretty clear, at least to anyone who has ever had an experience themselves or been on a professionally operated investigation. Between all of these shows there has been enough conclusive (yes, conclusive) evidence to prove we step out of our bodies and continue on after death, and that there are also non-human entities out there as well. That being said, I have to agree that most of these shows could be two minutes long without losing much - but that would remove the entertainment value we so love.

January 12 2010 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Matt's comment
Vena

I agree with you Matt. I watch all these shows. Although we must often speculate on exactly what the unseen is; afterall unless we are dead ourselves, will we really know all the facts. Having had an experience I myself cannot fully explain, there is enough evidence the unseen does exist. And I do enjoy the different personalities on all the shows.

January 16 2010 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D Harvell

We don't have to go further than our apartment for a supernatural experience. We have clocks that change time (batteries removed), unexplained cold spots (base temp 72F, cold spots 45F), and an EVP I captured... my wife saying "Thank you!" to our dogs, because they followed a command. After her recorded "Thank you!", a voice in the recording says, "You're welcome!". Either the dogs learned how to speak English, or we caught an EVP. Until you experience something like this, I can totally understand your skepticism. As for my family... we have been converted into believers. And I think the brothers Klinge do a great job using the scientific method in prooving (or disprooving) hauntings.

January 08 2010 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brendan

Picture this, Your a spirit and these people come to your haunt and provoke, insult, degrade your existance and treat you like some kind of deplorable animal. I would do 1 of 2 things: Don`t make my presence known.Or use all the energy I could muster up and smack them all up side the head. They have to remember ghosts and spirits were people too and if they wewren`t treated like that in life, they shouldent be treated like that in death.

January 02 2010 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brendan

When I see actual apparitions showing up on film on these shows,Thats when I will take them seriously.Orbs are nothing. Strange sounds can be made by the 10 plus tv camera crews following the hunters around. Maybe the spirits will show up when the show cast stop getting paid. Ghost Hunting is a hobby,not a 40hr a week job.

January 02 2010 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beverly James

These shows are trying to come up with hard evidence that something supernatural is truly out there. If you have ever had any type of experience with those who have passed, you would want definitve evidence that what you experienced could indeed be paranormal.
BAJ