Review: 30 Rock - Into The Crevasse
by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 23rd 2009 12:01AM
(S04E02) "This isn't the auto industry, Pete. The auto industry was run by a bunch of out of touch white guys selling consumers a product they didn't want. We're GE damn it, and we're going to make a giant, flimsy microwave." - Jack
It's funny how Liz Lemon wrote the book titled Dealbreakers (a plot from last season they've continued this season). You can actually picture a book like that getting published. There must have been a hundred humor books like that released in the past five years, so this doesn't seem like one of those "crazy" fake books that a TV show comes out with. Actually, I'm surprised NBC hasn't actually published a book to cross-promote the show. Hey, Castle did it.
I just hope that the book that Tina Fey is writing isn't like that.
Speaking of plots being continued, it's great to see that we have Jack and NBC still being affected by the economy, government bailouts, and Washington hearings. And Devon Banks being in charge of the committee (via a friendship with Obama's daughter) makes sense, too. OK, maybe it doesn't, but anything that gets Will Arnett on the show to do a deep voice-off with Alec Baldwin is worth it.
I didn't like the Tracy subplot though. Angie's irritation with Liz's book just seemed to be mentioned so we could get a wacky sub-sub plot with Tracy staying at Liz's apartment and causing WACKINESS (and Kenneth getting the dogs seemed to be there just so Tracy could buy them). I hope stuff like this isn't carried on to the rest of the season.
But I liked Jenna's Icelandic werewolf movie (maybe "Werewolf Bar Mitzvah" could be the theme song). She hates that a new cast member is coming in and wants Liz to know it. This is actually a plot that I thought would be dropped quickly, but it's going to be front and center at least through next week when -- SPOILER ALERT! -- Brian Williams guest stars and actually auditions to become the next cast member of TGS.
Not sure why they had the porn movie angle (except as maybe a reference to the real porno based on 30 Rock that someone made), but you have to love how the show ends, with the porno-ized version of the scene we just saw between Fey and Baldwin. By the way, Liz was played by a real porn star.
- The flashback to the band singing "Doin' The Microwave." Jack said it was the "post-war" heyday, but was that really the late 40s or the 50s? Looked like the early to mid-60s to me.
- It makes sense that Kenneth would work for Big Brother, spying on people, doesn't it? I don't know how many odd things we can find out about Kenneth before it becomes ridiculous, but this one makes sense to me.
- This episode was much better than the season opener, but I think they need to focus more on Liz and her life and not just have her be the character who gets involved in all of the other plots. I want to see more of her personal life, have her date, make her more of a positive Mary Richards character (I see Liz and Mary as kindred spirits) and less of a geeky girl who doesn't date and is all awkward and lost. I don't believe that about Fey, and I don't quite buy it with Lemon.
- Maybe I'm 11 years old, but Pete pushing Liz was funny as hell -- he touched her boob!
- I don't know if cold pizza is better than hot, but I have to agree with Devon that it's pretty damn great.
"Well, I'll only be in D.C. for the day but if I find time I'll be sure to go see Fonzie's jacket. You sit on it as well." - Jack, to Don Geiss
"Lemon numbers among my employees." - Jack's blurb for Liz's book
"And now your President, who by the way is Kenyan and smokes cigarettes, has created an industry task force for microwaves and small appliances." - Jack
"Yeah, also my girlfriend is mad... in Canada!" - Lutz
"I don't know if you saw the crawl on the TV Guide Channel, but I've agreed to star in a sexy supernatural thriller, in the vein of Twilight and True Blood." - Jenna
"This is actually a werewolf picture, that for tax purposes is shooting in Iceland." - Jenna
"A book hasn't caused this much trouble since Where's Waldo went to that barber pole factory." - Tracy
"I have a betting system based on horse penis size." - Jack
"Yes and no. Yes it happened and no, it didn't not happen." - Jack, about NBC's spending habits
"As mom used to say, you can't eat love." - Kenneth
"I knew I had to align myself with something more powerful than GE, and since American Idol's not on 'til January that left the United States government." - Devon
"After the election, I could have had an ambassadorship to any country I wanted, even the gayest country -- Ireland." - Devon
"Too soon." - Tracy, to Liz, who mentioned Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video
[Watch episodes and clips of 30 Rock and other shows at SlashControl.]