September 2, 2014

Survivor winner appointed to FCC post

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 23rd 2009 8:30AM
Yul_Kwon_CBSLately, what we've been hearing about reality television has been awful. The winner of Big Brother became a drug dealer by using his prize money to bankroll his illegal activities. A family that appeared on Wife Swap perpetrated a hoax involving their six-year-old son and a helium balloon. Is there anything good to say about reality TV?

Here's something. Survivor: Cook Islands winner Yul Kwon is joining the FCC. He has been named deputy chief of the consumer and governmental affairs bureau for the FCC.

That's the Federal Communications Commission. Chairman Julius Genachowski made the appointment, and it wasn't because Yul did well in challenges.

Before getting this job, Yul Kwon graduated from Yale Law School, lectured at the FBI Academy, was employed at Google and the McKinsey & Co. management consulting firm, and was also a special correspondent on CNN and for the Discovery Channel.

Yul won in 2006. That was the year Survivor tried separating contestants by ethnicity. What I remember about that edition was that Yul emerged as a strong leader who had established unbreakable alliances. He won the million dollar prize by a five-to-four vote, but was a popular choice because he never stabbed anybody in the back.

If he can do that in his role as FCC deputy chief -- which requires him to respond to consumer inquiries and complaints -- he'll be a valuable public servant.

Joyce N.

As deputy chief, I doubt he'd be the one taking any rights away. He struck me as very intelligent and fair. I think he'll do a great job. Just be happy with some good reality news for a change.

October 24 2009 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhatI

Thanks for the spoiler! I haven't watched that season yet...

October 23 2009 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

I thought Yul to be an outstanding young man on his season of Survivor and I'm not surprised that he would be trusted with a position such as this.

Congratulations, Yul! This is good news.

October 23 2009 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joyce N.'s comment
Joe stalin

Sure he seems to be a great guy but now he's fallen in with a bad crowd. Better off with the drug dealing. At least there he's not taking people's rights away.

October 23 2009 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

I remember being so angry when he won. I was so sure that Ozzy deserved it. Then Ozzy came back for one of the All-Star seasons, and it turns out he's an ass. That was some fancy editing for Yul's season.

October 23 2009 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MJL

"That's the Federal Communications Commission."

Thanks for clearing that up.

October 23 2009 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron

I prefer the drug dealers to the FCC...

October 23 2009 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply