December 20, 2014

Grey's Anatomy works just fine without Izzie or Meredith

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Oct 25th 2009 6:00PM
Ellen Pompeo and Katherine HeiglLet me take that one step further -- Grey's Anatomy is great without Izzie or Meredith.

For the first time since the announcement of her temporary departure from the show, Katherine Heigl wasn't in this past week's episode of Grey's Anatomy and Ellen Pompeo, who's on maternity leave, was only featured in two very brief scenes that book-ended the hour.

The episode expertly blended the Seattle Grace docs with the Mercy Westers and featured a very cool Rashomon-esque story (CSI did the same thing a few years ago).

But consider this -- given how good the episode was, what if the scenes with Meredith and the scenes where Alex was on the phone with Izzie were removed? It wouldn't have impacted the hour at all.

Despite the fact that the show's title really doesn't make sense without Meredith around, I have to say -- her lack of screen time wasn't odd at all. The new doctors (especially Nora Zehetner's Dr. Reed Adamson) have made a strong impact in only two episodes and it's starting to look like this hospital merger plot might actually do the show some good. Anyone else think otherwise?

[Watch clips and free episodes of Grey's Anatomy at SlashControl.]

linda

Love the series of Grey's Anatomy. We share it with my son and his fiance' - they have the rest so we ordered this one to complete the set. It's great! I love Katherine Heigl, but then again, Patrick Dempsey is awesome and Ellen Pompeo is great and Sandra Oh is wonderful......

December 11 2009 at 1:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matty Boh ;-)

Well, I've been pretty sick of Katherine Heigel for a while, so I'm happy to get a break from her. And Meredith, until recently, has really been an annoying a undesireable character; a b-i-t-c-h. When she gave her kidney to her father for Lexi, I was very proud of her. But until then, I felt like she was not the character she should be, as the show's title role.

Actually, when Addison Montgomery was on Grey's Anatomy, she was a great character. On Private Practice, she's the main reason to not watch. I watch it for the other characters, not her. Strange how that is. Must be a flaw with Shonda Rhimes and her main characters.

October 28 2009 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kamy

Jonathan Toomey are you Nora Zehetner's boyfriend?
Sometimes journalists have some nerves, bashing actors to brought up on other one!

Grey's Anatomy is about Meredith GREY and a big supporting characters systeme around her! If you don't like Izzy and Mer then stop watching the show.
For your information (I don't know about KH's fans but) if Ellen POMPEO didn't appear in this epy, her fans wouldn't have watch the show, we're still around aven to see her 30 seconds.

If you want to promote Nora Zehetner write to Shonda but please don't piss off fans by bashing 2 actresses who made the show what it is.

October 26 2009 at 4:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sabora

It really pisses me off they would take izzie off the show!!!!!! i don't understand why bring in new cast when nothing was wrong with the old cast. I've been a fan of Grey's Anatomy since season 1. So they can say ratings are bad because i know a bunch of people who watch Grey's Anatomy. Don't be surprized if the rates go down now. Please keep the old cast why be like all the other shows that changed the old to make it new look at there ratings now. Bring izzie back otherwise you will lose a true fan!!!!

October 26 2009 at 3:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sabora's comment
trtlsoup2001

Izzie is not off the show. KH took some time off to make a movie. 'Though why she can't do the movie off-season like everyone else is beyond me...

October 26 2009 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lili

It was a different kind of episode, and it was great. But it doesn't feel much like Grey's and THAT is the TERRIBLE part. It loses its identity without much of Meredith. It's like watching ER not Grey's Anatomy. Hello....!
Thank God, the episode starts and ends with her. I'm sure Shonda put it that way to remind us that it is a Meredith's show. I agree that at times, other characters do outshine Meredith but it was because of the storylines, nothing to do with Ellen Pompeo's acting ability. She is amazing playing Meredith, never too flashy, so subtle and believable, never over the top, just right and true to the character she is playing. Meredith is my kind of heroine. And if you blogger, pay more attention like a die-hard fan like me, you know that the ratings were the highest when Meredith is front and center. Grey's Anatomy needs Meredith!!!! No doubt about that!!

October 26 2009 at 3:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maddie

This little whinge of sorts, is just wrong. Meredith Grey is and has always been the main character. Sure it's an ensemble cast, but everything begins and ends with her. Most story lines are related to her in some way. Plus, Meredith and Derek are the only continuous relationship in Grey's. Even if they did break up 3 times... they've still been the main relationship in the series from day 1. A grey's anatomy without the grey would be stupid. Meredith Grey is the most intriguing and complex character on that show. As for Izzie... sometimes I could do without her. Especially now. She's being a selfish wench. But... Izzie belongs on Grey's. Just on a side note... Ellen Pompeo was cast before anyone else, and Shonda Rhimes personally asked to get her. If that's not an actress on demand I don't know what is. Ellen's great.

October 26 2009 at 2:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jacob

What a mean spirited, hateful little piece this is. What's the purpose of it? And When Mer and Izzie are gone, which character will next receive your spiteful comments? The last episode for me was just plain bad and losing the original characters to these new ones does nothing to improve the show. What was that old saying..."if you can't find anything nice (or at least remotely constructive)to say TV Squad?"....

October 26 2009 at 1:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bbrown

It was a good episode but I'm not sure how much not having Izzie and Meredith in it contributed. I don't think that Meredith has been as bad this season as she has been in the past but I would be perfectly content not ever seeing Izzie again. To me Heigl is the weakest actress on the show and Izzie hasn't been a likable character for a while now.

October 26 2009 at 1:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

Telling a story from several POVs isn't sufficient to make it like Rashomon. There were no perceptible differences in the stories told. The biases and lies of the storytellers are essential to Rashomon.

October 26 2009 at 1:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lauren

I think not! seriously. Meredith and Izzie are part of the core 5 that started the show, we already lost George. and now we only have four of them, i mean this episode rocked but now that they both have returned to work i would like to see them FRONT AND CENTER again! Meredith puts the "Grey" in Grey's Anatomy anyway. :) although if you think about it there is another Grey - Lexie!

October 26 2009 at 12:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply