September 3, 2014

Now you can know when CBS sports coverage is going to run long

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 26th 2009 1:03PM
CBSIt's something we see almost every Sunday during the fall/winter: CBS football coverage runs long, which means that 60 Minutes starts late, which means The Amazing Race starts late, which means Three Rivers starts late, which means Cold Case starts late, which means local news starts late. Sometimes it means that one of the shows won't get shown at all, which is what happened to Cold Case a couple of weeks ago.

Now you can be alerted to when the shows are going to be delayed because of football (or tennis or golf). You can sign up for CBS Eye Alerts, and they'll e-mail/text you when sports coverage run over.

This won't make you any happier, but at least you'll know it's coming. Though I think you can turn on CBS and figure it out for yourself.

just me

I'm assuming this is an east coast thing.

Have never noticed the Amazing Race starting late.

October 26 2009 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to just me's comment
Donna

East coast AND MORE... The Eastern and Central Time zones run simultaneously, and get affected together at the same time. That's a pretty big chunk of the country when you take in both of those time zones.

I'm in the Central Time Zone, and The Amazing Race begins at 7 p.m. (which would be 8 p.m. Eastern). Well, last Sunday I think it ended up starting about 7:30 or 7:45 or something like that. That week before it must have been at least an hour late -- felt like it, anyway.

The Mountain Time Zone airs The Amazing Race at 7 p.m. MT, which is an hour later than those of us in the Eastern and Central Time Zones. And the Pacific Time Zone airs it at 8 p.m. PT, which is the equivalent of 10 p.m. where I live. So, yeah, of course in those time zones, the games probably don't delay prime time much if ever.

October 27 2009 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

If you live near the Canadian border like we do, just watch on CTV.

October 26 2009 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Yeah this has been happening for so long now that if anyone is still "surprised" that their shows ran long, well it's their problem. It isn't THAT hard to record the extra hour or so.

October 26 2009 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
litehousebeacon

I set my DVR to run over an hour on Cold Case, and I did it last year too. With that and The Unit.

October 26 2009 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Viv

Or CBS can do the sensical think like Fox does and build in an half an hour of highlights show so that can absorb the delays and not screw up the rest of the schedule. I am as big a football fan as anybody but it super annoying to watch CBS on sundays. It's ALWAYS the CBS games that run 45 minutes over. Stop having so many TV timeouts.

It really is amazing that The Amazing Race has such good ratings since most of it's audience don't even know when it will air. TAR deserves better.

October 26 2009 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Viv's comment
Bart Smith

That didn't help Fox last Monday night when baseball ran 45 minutes into the scheduled time slot for HOUSE on the east coast.

October 26 2009 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MJL

Or people could just set whatever CBS shows they watch to record an hour longer than scheduled, like resourceful people do.

October 26 2009 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply