November 27, 2014

Dove and Wal-Mart's Real Beauty jingle is annoying

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 27th 2009 3:04PM
Dove_soap_barThere's something to be said about a jingle that gets in your head and you can't forget it. "I am stuck on Band-Aids, so Band-Aid's stuck on me..." remains imprinted on my brain to this day (and did you know that Barry Manilow wrote that?). Well, there's a current commercial that has a song that's wormed it's way into my noggin, only I can't stand it.

Before I tell you more and present the video, I want to go on record saying that I like the idea of the ad. It's a collaboration between Dove and Wal-Mart, presenting real women. The thought is that there is Real Beauty in real women, not models or celebrities, but just everyday people.

It's a wonderful notion and I think there's a lot of truth in that. It would have been nice if Dove had not Photoshopped the print ads for the campaign which prettied up the real women, but it was still a noble effort.

But back to the ad, I'm not annoyed by the commercial as a whole. I like the ladies; they look great and very personable. There singing (assuming it's them) is awful, but it's that damn song. It goes like this:

"Do your eyes sit wide?
Does your nose go to the side?
Does your elbow have a crinkle?
Do your knees have a wrinkle?
Does your chest tend to freckle?
Do you have a crooked smile?
Do your eyes sit wide?"

What on earth does that mean -- do your eyes sit wide? I didn't realize my eyes were sitting on my face!

And that tune, yeech. It's like a nursery rhyme, which might have been the intent, but it's like nails on a chalkboard. Anyway, if you've avoided seeing it on TV, here's the commercial for your perusal.

What do you think, does the song bother you as much as it bothers me?

mamalisa67

I also love the belching TUMS bear--------it can be found on you tube

November 12 2009 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lissie

I'm sorry, it seems like commericals get longer and more obnoxious and advertisers (mistakenly) believe we will buy the product if their jingle is lodged in our brain. I found this commerical insulting....I change the channel whenever it comes on...that is my only defense against the drivel that passes as advertiing these days...if it weren't for the remote i would not watch tv. I try to minimize my exposure to crap.

November 09 2009 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donna langston

PEOPLE I'M SAYING THIS TO YOU WITH WITH L. O. V. E THE LITTLE JINGLE IS JUST A COMMERCIAL. DON'T YOU FOLKS EVER GIVE ANYTHING OR ANYONE A BREAK. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO WATCH TURN YOUR TV OFF. OTHER WISE REMEBER WHAT YOUR GRANDMA AND MAYBE YOUR MOM TAUGHT YOU WHEN YOU WERE YOUNGER IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY DON'T SAT ANYTHING AT ALL.

October 30 2009 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
becky

I love it. There are more "ordinary women" in this world today that need to be celebrated. Catchy tune I just wish I could get all the parts remembered

October 30 2009 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bianca

It is a great commercial. I bet the people who put it together make a lot of extra money this year.

I love the up beat happiness of the women and the song.

October 29 2009 at 11:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leuler

i really like this song. it is everyday women showing everyone has flaws and its okay. its super cute and i love the message it sends. and i agree about the crazy-looking nurse. her line is "does your hair make you giggle". cute song love it. we often burst into song at school with this song

October 29 2009 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

Actually, I like this ad, it's cute. I've got a 10 year old daughter & I'd much rather her see women like this than photo shopped anorexic models on tv.

October 29 2009 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TAH

I love that commercial, it always makes me smile :0)

October 28 2009 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to TAH's comment
mamalisa67

I LOVE that jingle--------what I HATE is all those Christmas ads..........Not even Thanksgiving yet & in this
bad economy.......some of us may not even be able to afford Christmas.........sad but true.

November 12 2009 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

Congratulations. You have gotten that godawful song stuck in my head without me having even watched the video.

October 28 2009 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
annoyed697

does anyone else hear the tune and flash to
Parker Posey singing alternate lyrics about
male genitalia ??