December 20, 2014

EW critic says Dexter should get rid ... of Rita?!?

by Danny Gallagher, posted Oct 27th 2009 11:02AM
Julie Benz and Michael C. Hall on DexterThis season of Dexter has the most share of downs than seasons past, so much so that it's actually turned the audience against the strife and struggles of their longest running characters. But whoever thought that one of them would be sweet, lovable Rita?

Entertainment Weekly
critic Ken Tucker said in his most recent review at his "Watching TV" blog that the three things he wouldn't miss are the Batista/Laguerta relationship, Quinn's touchy relationship with a scoop hungry reporter and Rita, played by Julie Benz.

His issue isn't with Benz's performance, but he said he feels "dubious" about the fixes that have to be made to Dexter and Rita's relationship. All this talk of working out issues could turn an edgy show about a body chopping serial killer into an episode of The View with less screaming and violence.

The critic has spoken. What say you?

Are you rid of Rita?
Yes626 (51.0%)
No602 (49.0%)

Caliente

I enjoy all of the angles the writers of Dexter use to tell his story. It is still great storytelling. You could get all personal and complain about the 'nagging wife' of Dexter but in the end, you're still watching, wifeless and envious of a fictional character.

November 03 2009 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Benz provides the sexual goodness Dexter needs to break up the heavy storylines and soulless killings. Granted, her character as a nagging conscious should be tweaked but she shouldn't be gone.

October 28 2009 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan

Single father Dexter? That'd be too hard to juggle. If they're going to go that route, it would make more sense for them to kill off his entire family. Then again, that would just make this The Punisher.

October 27 2009 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Hmm...I wonder if Ken Tucker knows something. I could see them killing off Rita.

I think we need to wait before judging this season. I believe they're methodically laying the groundwork for some major payoffs down the line. For instance, I don't think Trinity killed Lundy. The real shooter made it appear so, using the article on Lundy's hunt for Trinity as a convenient misdirection. The parts that may seem boring and unneccessary now may come into clearer focus.

October 27 2009 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan

@anti-believer: he'd never kill an innocent person. Also, the show is a big hit for Showtime, they're not going to give it up next season.

October 27 2009 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dennis

Would be interesting to see how Dexter would cope with three kids as a widower. Deb is single again so she could move in... oh that would make no difference then...
A jump in the future where astor would show her dark side and Dex trains her after er... cody and rita die in a terrorist attack...

October 27 2009 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Actor n LA

I've already come to conclusion that she will be killed off by Dexter this season because dexter doesn't want to married.

Plus, it will be great to see him escape from that until he is captured in the next season when it will likely end. My opinion.

October 27 2009 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

That poll is a little odd, but I'll ignore it.
I would love to be rid of Rita. She just complicates things in boring ways. And it seems like the writers don't even enjoy writing for her, they give her terrible storylines.

October 27 2009 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melanie

To me, there is nothing likable or interesting about the character though I do see why the writers keep her around. Keeps Dexter more 'human', acts as a time filler, etc. So I don't see them getting rid of her. But one can dream, right? lol

October 27 2009 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Willmore2000

Honestly, I hate every single character on the show except Dexter and Trinity. As far as I'm concerned, Dexter should move away from Miami after he kills Trinity.

October 27 2009 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Willmore2000's comment
GL

You hit the nail on the head. Lundy was sort of interesting as a potential adversary for Dex. Now, there's nothing.

October 27 2009 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply