Adam Glambert... I mean Adam Lambert's new CD is coming out

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 28th 2009 3:31PM
adam_lambert_for_your_entertainment_CDAdam Lambert's first album since American Idol is coming out on November 23, and the cover of For Your Entertainment is stunning. Kris Allen's CD cover will definitely not look like this. Believe me, it won't.

To some, it's already too much. Too touched up. Too over the top. Too glamorous. Too much Adam.

Puh-leeze! Give me a break. This is exactly an Adam Lambert album cover should be. It should be stylized and dramatic. It should take your breath away. It should push the envelope because that's what Adam did in his entire American Idol experience.

When faced with a chance to play it safe, Adam never did. You know the expression, "Go big or go home"? That was Adam Lambert on Idol. He may have come in second to Kris, but he made a bigger impression.

It wouldn't have been like Adam Lambert if this CD cover was just a handsome photograph from a fashion shoot. He could have done that. He's a good-looking guy. In a suit and a tie with his hair slicked back, he looks like the gorgeous Elvis (the one before the Vegas jumpsuits).

But when you recall that Adam was inspired just as much by the likes of a David Bowie, this cover makes perfect sense. Bowie was an artist who put on glitter and assumed characters and danced with sexuality and assumptions. His music was complex and exciting, and you never knew what to expect from him. He was enigmatic in the the best way.

Lambert's decision to be outrageous on this cover means he wants to be more than just our expectations based on his American Idol performances. This cover is glam; the next might be as stark as an Ansel Adams photograph.

The album cover is only a calling card. The inside of For Your Entertainment -- which reminds me of "Let Me Entertain You" from the Broadway show Gypsy -- includes Adam collaborating with a lot of top talent like Ryan Tedder, Linda Perry, Pink, Ferras, Rob Cavallo and Lady Gaga.

Sue Brody

I do not think the right person won Idol, but it doesn't matter anymore. Adam is brilliant, his album is fantastic and he is going to have a fantastic career. Kris is a nice, good looking guy with a nice voice and good musical skills. I do think he needs the American Idol label, so he doesn't get lost in the pack, and I hope his career is successful as well.

December 27 2009 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

I agree with what Allison wrote in the article. This cover screams Adam Lambert, and if you dont like it, I have a feeling Adam doesnt want you listening to the damn thing anyhow. Adam has the strength and the self-assurance to be who he is without conforming to anyones expectations. To me, that is commendable. The music scene has been stale and boring for too long now. Maybe it takes someone outrageous who is also talented, like Adam and also Lady Gaga, to shake things up and bring some excitement back into music. There is way to much pap, rap and crap out there nowadays, and I for one welcome a change.

October 30 2009 at 8:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

I think the cover is perfect and it matches the album. He's doing an 70's/80's disco type CD and the cover easily conveys that. When I first looked at it the first thing that popped into my mind was Heart and Total Eclipse and Stevie Nicks. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he was going for and I love it.

October 29 2009 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chickc

So far, I'm not in tune with the cover, but with this much talent behind the songwriting and Adam's ability to inject his own style into the songs, it should be hot. There's alotta hype behind this guy because he has one of the biggest fan followings ever from Idol. So, the expectations are high. I'm gonna say, "Lets not judge a CD by its cover" and wait and see if he delivers the goods.

October 29 2009 at 7:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gini

Please guys, it's just a cd cover! Who cares? It's what's inside!

October 28 2009 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

David Bowie pushed the envelope, Lambert looks like Pink with blue hair. There is a difference.

October 28 2009 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Argus's comment
steveg

Are you all talking about it? Seems like a success to me.

October 28 2009 at 10:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Captain Awesome

Just FYI, Kris Allen's album cover has been out for a couple weeks. And no, it does not look like the hot mess that is the Lambert cover.

October 28 2009 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Captain Awesome's comment
Lucy

No, it certainly doesn't look like Adam's campy, cool, fresh album cover. It looks like some dopey, boring, run-of- the-mill-coffee-house-singer-whose-mommy-took-a-crappy-picture album cover.

November 06 2009 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emtae

It might sell initially, then the guy will fall off the radar. Just like the other AI make-a-celeb product. I'm talking to you Jeff.

I also laugh loud and long at those that have to drag out their whiny pc terms. "Oh please", indeed.

October 28 2009 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SadOne

Oh please. Muse wouldn't give a song to someone who can't sing. Get past the homophobic bull and just listen to the album. Lambert is doing what musicians used to do: pushing the boundaries, making people talk and think and doing it all on his terms. Have we become so benign as a listening audience that the John Mayers of the world have won? So dulled by radio that new music and new voices aren't worth a listen because of sexual orientation.

All of you haters sound like your freaking grandparents.

October 28 2009 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to SadOne's comment
jrd

What "homophobic bull"?

October 29 2009 at 1:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charles

With songs by Muse, Lady Gaga and Dr. Luke on this album and scores of international and US sales already in the bag only out-of-the-loop morons would think this album won't sell. I'm talking to you @meh.

October 28 2009 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply