October 22, 2014

Lucky's back ... Jonathan Jackson's terrific return to General Hospital

by Allison Waldman, posted Oct 28th 2009 8:03AM
Lucky_Liz_Luke_General_Hospital
Tuesday was Jonathan Jackson's first day back on General Hospital in the role of Lucky Spencer. It's a role he originated (as a youngster), coming onto the show in 1993 when Luke and Laura -- Anthony Geary and Genie Francis -- made their much-heralded return. Jonathan stayed on General Hospital till 1999, winning three Daytime Emmys in his tenure, and basically stamped the character as his own. That's why when he decided to return now, it's been a big deal.

After watching him Tuesday, working with Rebecca Herbst and Anthony Geary, I can say that it was a wise move to bring him back. No offense to Greg Vaughn, but he was never quite right as Lucky. Jonathan fell right back into the role and immediately made a huge difference.

When Elizabeth was torn between her longtime love for Lucky and her recent lust for Nikolas, Lucky's half-brother, it suddenly had some emotional heft. Previously, I was all for Liz leaving Lucky, but not now. Not when the man she's rejecting is Jonathan's version of Lucky, a really good, really gentle soul who helped Liz through the toughest times of her life. They have so much history together, Herbst and Jackson, and it all came through.

The same was true with Jackson and Geary. Luke gested with his son, called him "cowboy," like he always did, only it rings true between these two actors. Even Luke's disappointment when Lucky dissed his father for his history as a hustler was more dynamic. Luke seemed genuinely hurt.

Finally, at the end of the episode, Jonathan had a scene alone, Lucky called Laura in France. Without Genie Francis being shown, her presence was still there because Jackson had a history with her. While the character was telling his mother about his troubled relationship with Elizabeth, as a viewer, the connection came through.

It was a great first day. I'm hooked... again.

[Watch clips and episodes of General Hospital on SlashControl.]

Casper

If you've watched GH long enough you get used to them swapping out actors and actresses, so this really isn't a huge deal. Luckily they never pulled this crap with Frisco Jones or Robert Scorpio.

January 06 2010 at 9:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

Can we now see some flashbacks?! I would love to see some boxcar scenes or when they "got married." TPTB need to revist why Lucky and Elizabeth fell in love so long ago. Lucky was the one who helped Elizabeth after she was raped. There is so much history! Now I have a reason to root for Lucky! JJ IS Lucky.

October 29 2009 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mendie

addicted2gh.wordpress.com-I actually felt bad for GV during yesterday's episode (not his fault mind you) because from the moment JJ came on screen it had felt to me as though Lucky had finally come home.

October 28 2009 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jo Anne

Great review, it is so true, the little looks and comments that took us back and memories flooded back. Now if Laura comes back........ WE NEED OUR CORE FAMILIES to balance
the sex, drugs and violence that makes GH so juicy to watch.

October 28 2009 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GHLover

Couldn't agree more! Everything has more meaning now that JJ is back in the role. Can't wait to see the emotional battle these 2 characters go through when Lucky finds out about Liz's betrayal. Well played GH...well played!

October 28 2009 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gela

I was disappointed. He looks like a young boy, very babyfaced, beside Liz.

I liked him as original lucky but I'll need more time to accept him as an adult, he just looks way to young and I find it offputting.

October 28 2009 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Wilkins

I agree. Loved GH back in their hey days and during Luke and Laura's return. I watch it occassionally now, but I made sure to tune in to Jackson's return. His phone call to Laura just made me want Genie Francis back! Jackson definitely has 'old soul' and chemistry with Herbst and Geary. I liked Vaughn. He was a decent recast but he was never written for. Now, GH will write for Lucky. imo

October 28 2009 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

The casting director at GH is just genius at finding young talent, and I always thought young Jonathan Jackson was the find of that decade - even when he was a little kid on the show, he had such charisma and gravitas.

You're so right about poor Greg Vaughn. Nice guy, good enough actor - but he was never quite "it".

October 28 2009 at 8:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Karen's comment
adrienne

I'm hooked... again, as long as they don't screw around with Lucky and Liz too much.

October 28 2009 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slutty_whore

The writing for GV's Lucky was horrendous and therefore, he wasn't given enough storyline to carry. Other than the drug storyline and his affair with Maxie was he able to really show his acting chops. Also, GV's Lucky had potential to be in a quadrangle with Sam, Jason, and Liz, but that story was also dropped in favor of this. GV's Lucky was a sad sack (based on the writing, not the acting), and there wasn't much for GV to do. If the writing for JJ's Lucky is similar, then really what was the point?

October 28 2009 at 8:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply