November 29, 2014

What's Hot on SlashControl: Jonathan Jackson's return to General Hospital

by Jane Boursaw, posted Oct 28th 2009 1:02PM
Jonathan Jackson as Lucky Spencer on General HospitalI used to be a devoted fan of General Hospital, and some of my favorite episodes involved Luke and Laura, and later, their son, Lucky. In fact, now that I think about it, I started to stray from the show about the time that Jonathan Jackson, who played the first Lucky, left the show in 1999.

The other actors who played Lucky -- Jacob Young and Greg Vaughan -- did a fine job, but I so associated the role with Jackson that it was impossible for me to accept anyone else as Lucky.

As luck would have it, I just happened to flip on One Life to Live yesterday and saw a promo for Jonathan Jackson coming back to General Hospital as Lucky. What a stroke of "luck" for me!

As Allison wrote in her post earlier today, "After watching him Tuesday, working with Rebecca Herbst and Anthony Geary, I can say that it was a wise move to bring him back. No offense to Greg Vaughan, but he was never quite right as Lucky. Jonathan fell right back into the role and immediately made a huge difference."

I totally agree, and just might have to make General Hospital a must-see show every afternoon -- just like in the old days. Who says soaps are dead?! Just bring back the old guard, and us soap veterans will start watching again. My dream returns would include Vanessa Marcil (Brenda), Genie Francis (Laura), Finola Hughes (Anna), and Tristan Rogers (Robert). I know some of these have come and gone through the years, but I'd love to see them come back and stay for a while.

And speaking of which, Lucky talked to Laura on the phone, but the last I heard, she was still in a vegetative state. Someone get me up to speed on what Laura's doing these days.

Watch yesterday's episode of General Hospital on SlashControl.

Casper

I have to disagree. I'm more used to the Lucky before this one. This current guy is like someone from Boy Meets World pretending he's a detective/cop. Just doesn't work for me.

My main reason for watching GH is LuLu Spencer. Whoever cast her in that role deserves a nice big bonus check!

January 06 2010 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GHroyalty

Nothing against Greg Vaughn (who, like Jacob Young, never stood a chance)...but the second JJ was on screen again it confirmed what the old time fans have always known...Jonathan Jackson simply IS Lucky Spencer.
I too had given up on GH since they sent Laura packing (again!!) after her last return...and I didn't think I'd return for JJ for long, only because lately GH has been kind of destroying all the old characters...but...after seeing his return....I'm on board. He's the same "delicious" Lucky, (he wears him like a second skin) and smooth, talented actor...the depth and soul of Lucky is back! :)
(now if they'd ONLY FINALLY bring Laura back...the Spencers would be "back in business!"...and I'd forgive GH.)

October 29 2009 at 8:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GHLover

Laura came out of her vegetative state thanks to a drug protocol that Patrick and Robin gave her. It was just enough time for her to "re-marry" Luke in a lovely wedding ceremony reminiscent of their first wedding. She didn't last long though and quickly slipped back into the v-state. She came out of it again awhile later and since she is up and about. She is currently in Europe at a hospital who is monitoring her situation so that she doesn't go back into the coma. Interestingly enough Scott Baldwin is the one who took her there. So she is alive, well and awake! lol....

In regards to JJ back...absolutely love it! Everything that is happening has a new meaning now that he's back. The scenes with he and TG today were stellar and a reminder of why the others who played Lucky just never had the same connection. I can't wait until Lucky finds out about Niz....it's really gonna hit the fan and the tiger in Lucky is gonna pounce!!

October 28 2009 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xina143

I'll say it...I LOVE GH. It's a fun diversion for me, ok maybe I don't love it...but anyways.

Perhaps I am just annoyed at the way Greg Vaughan was treated, but JJ didn't do it for me yesterday, and frankly I am not impressed. sure he was Lucky..voer ten years ago. And sorry, but I don't see him going toe to toe with Tyler Christopher (Nicolas) or Steve Burton (Jason).

I just don't get what all the fuss is.

October 28 2009 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

Yes Johnathan Jackson is a better actor than Greg Vaughn and Jacob Young, but it still is not going to bring me back to General Hospital. The problem was never the actors but always the writing. This is not going to change with Jacksom because actors do not write scripts. The character of Lucky has been dumbed down because in Port Charles, cops can never be smart. After all, the mobsters are sooo smart and soooo cool in Bob Guza's world.

October 28 2009 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MB

Laura woke up from her vegetative state, for good, a year ago. Mostly, her story was about helping LuLu through a trauma, but then there was a misguided adventure with Scott Baldwin and Luke and then she had some words for Luke for pretending to marry her the last time she work up, temporarily, and then left to live in Paris.

October 28 2009 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply