April 24, 2014

Fringe is in danger of being canceled?!

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 29th 2009 1:00PM
Fringe
TV Guide has released their list of shows that are safe for the rest of the season and those that are "on the bubble," the shows that are in danger of being canceled. There are a lot of shows on the latter list that aren't a surprise, such as Hank, Gary Unmarried, Cold Case, and The Forgotten (I'm surprised Cold Case even made it to another season).

But among the list of shows are a few that I didn't think were in danger, including Gossip Girl and Fringe. I know that Gossip Girl isn't a show that gets incredible ratings, but that describes The CW in general, and I figure that even if it gets low ratings it's sort of the network's signature show. As for Fringe, the ratings are a lot worse this season than last season, but it would still surprise me if the show went away, especially since it has its fan base and it's produced by JJ Abrams.

Any other shows on the list that surprise you?

Nathan Scott

Well if they didn't move everything to thursday night we would be fine if they left it on Tuesday night like it was after NCIS everything would be alright but no they had to move everything to Thursday with Supernatural/Greys/Flashforward/ Fringe vampire Dairies and so on me and my mother have to fight over the dvr to record shit its sad.

January 10 2010 at 9:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
panzela

Fringe is an interesting show that should not be canceled!! The people who write the eppisodes do a fantastic job. Even the appearance of Linard Nimoy is exceptionally good.
There have always be times when a good Sci. Fi. show has shown potential, then it was cancelled. Don't let this happen!!!!!
I am a retired millitary spouce who is really into Sci. Fi. My husbands job now and past has been on these realms of science and sci. fi. Please don't cancell the show!

Rebecca Clark

January 08 2010 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cora

I was hoping the Forgotten would not be canceled. It is a great show and one that address a huge problem, namely the unidentified John and Jane Does all across Canada and the US. It is not a pretty subject but one that needs to be addressed.

Cora

December 24 2009 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LetDown

I believe Fringe is the best Sci-Fi on Television since BSG (minus the last episode.. kinda... ha). If FOX pulls the plug on this show I will not be watching their channel anymore and that's a promise.

I'll torrent everything from them (Even though I really want to give Whedon my support). A part of me wishes he never made Serenity so Firefly could have gotten back on the air :) But then again, Serenity in Blu Ray is golden.

Anyways, Don't do it FOX...

November 04 2009 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
therater

Its upsetting and discouraging watching good shows like FRINGE that actually have "content" and really good writing, imagination, versatility and above all Well Developed characters, (great acting skills by all the main actors/actresses) being dumped for some mediocre reason, the "dumping" should start with the people making the wrong decisions, leave the good shows on, get rid of the personnel that is deaf and blind. allow your audience (us) decide what show stays or leaves, set-up a poll, gather your info and run with it.

November 03 2009 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FB2009

Fox better not blow it with "Antarctica". This looks like it's going to be the best thing on TV since "The Sopranos". The script is still on the author's website, although I'm sure they'll take it down soon: http://www.richarddaub.com/antarcticatreatmentscreenplay.pdf

October 30 2009 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

I'm not surprised that Fringe has been doing poorly. This season has had too many filler episodes that failed to help flesh out the meat of the mystery of the coming battle between alternate universes.

And Dollhouse? Three lousy episodes, then one great episode so far do not bode well for this season unless it can pick itself up.

October 30 2009 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DJ

Why are these networks so dumb?

October 30 2009 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

I agree that the timeslot is what is killing it. But what's killing it more is that all these media outlets are claiming things are close to cancellation. I'm not blaming TV Squad in the least--it's really TV Guide. That's why the TV Addict put up a post this week that said that by having these mainstream media outlets predicting the demise of various shows, it's causing more hurt than harm: http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/10/29/fringe-is-in-danger-of-being-canceled/

We're not saying "This is the best show you're not watching," which is a very positive spin on a negative situation. It's basically predicting the end and causing havoc. Or, it's causing more people to just say, "Well, I wasn't watching it anyway" publically on various websites.

I really like Fringe and I hope it stays around. I think FOX might come to their senses, see the potential, and move it. I'm sure they moved it because of the terrible conflicts it caused with American Idol ran over last year. Which would they rather deal with?

October 30 2009 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Courtney's comment
Courtney

Oops, pasted in the wrong link. Here's the TV Addict link: http://thetvaddict.com/2009/10/29/todays-tv-addict-top-5-special-oh-no-they-didnt-edition/

October 30 2009 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

If they cancel Fringe I swear I will never watch Fox again. I've already bailed on House since the DEA forced them to dump the Vicodin plotline. THis season of Fringe has been quite good - any drop in viewers is due to them fucking with the schedule and not the quality of the show. Of course if quality had anything to do with it, Arrested Development would still be on. Same with TSCC

October 30 2009 at 12:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply