July 31, 2014

SyFy orders an Americanized Being Human

by Brad Trechak, posted Oct 29th 2009 2:03PM
Being HumanSyFy has picked up the rights to broadcast an American version of the BBC show Being Human. For those who are unaware, Being Human is about a twenty-something ghost, a werewolf and a vampire that live together, each with their own set of melodramatic problems. It's a bit like a supernatural Melrose Place.

Actually, given the context of the program, it would go much better on The CW. But that's not likely at this point. They already have The Vampire Diaries anyway.

While relaunching Americanized versions of Brit shows has been successfully done on television before (such as The Office), it's the first time that I'm aware that SyFy has tried it. Usually they have new versions of old television shows with hit-or-miss results (there was Battlestar Galactica, and then there was Flash Gordon).

The BBC series was okay but not great. If the British makers of the show are lucky, SyFy won't butcher it beyond recognition.

sealkisser

I loved the summer run of it on BBCA. I have also come to love british scifi a little more then american scifi. In my own way I think it's smarter. I'm afraid syfy will "americanize" so it looses it's point. But then again syfy is getting better this year so I hope I'll be surprised.

October 31 2009 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bwilly321

I agree with those who despise US remakes. I can understand doing it back when we couldn't get the originals broadcast here, but now it's absurd. I will probably watch the syfy version only out of curiosity, and my expectations are pretty low.

October 30 2009 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cathy

I LOVE the British version... and I'm not sure I'd watch an American remake.

October 29 2009 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

Enough with copying. This show is great. We never seem to get it. From Fawlty Towers, Coupling, Eleventh Hour, etc, we ruin good Brit shows. Why not just enjoy the original? Sorry, I will stick to that one.

October 29 2009 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mj's comment
RobynM

I tend to prefer the originals myself. I'll probably give this one a courtesy audit, but it does whiff of Unnecessary Remake.

October 29 2009 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
svrkevi

Cool, the UK show is really fun without trying to hard to be quirky about it...and it did get better as the season went on the pedo episode was pretty funny

October 29 2009 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

On the one hand, yay. On the other hand, American TV has become increasingly afraid of developing original TV in the past 5 years and that concerns me. When I visited Britain two years ago I was tired of seeing re-runs of American shows (SATC, Law & Order, etc.), but now it's happening in reverse. Thanks to the increasingly global community I can see the original British versions if I want through BBC America, DVDs, on-line, etc., so I'm hoping TV producers get tired of copying material from 10-20 years ago & other countries and return to what they used to do - original programming -

October 29 2009 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

"It's a bit like a supernatural Melrose Place."

I don't think this is a good description at all.

October 29 2009 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jo

One day, America will be original and stop copying our programs. Life on Mars (English version) was amazing. The American one failed because they just copied it. I hope this does the same.
In any other place, this would be called plagiarism.

October 29 2009 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Jo's comment
Ryan

"The BBC series was okay but not great."

Really? I quickly fell in love with it and its characters when it aired this summer on BBC America. I'm of two minds about this acquisition. I love it since it will open up the great stories and the cool concept to a wider audience, but I'm more than fearful that the American version will pale in comparison or worse, butcher it all together.

Having said that, I'll keep an open mind. Getting the cast right will be key since they need to have chemistry from the get go. They should also focus on getting the perfect writer (Whedon? Fuller?).

October 29 2009 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ryan's comment
Sarah

Oh yeah, I agree with you Ryan. Even though it was a short season I really got into Being Human and the characters. (I still really want to know what Annie said to freak out her ex so much).
Anyways, if it's going to be Americanized I really hope they get the casting right and yes, Whedon would be perfect.

October 29 2009 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tjj0819

Well, the British version is only shooting it's second season, and the 1st season was only 6 or 7 episodes long and got better as it went along. It's improving and I'm looking forward to the 2nd season.

October 29 2009 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply