April 17, 2014

Ghost Hunters Halloween Live ... creepy good fun

by Jane Boursaw, posted Oct 31st 2009 9:36PM

Part of my Halloween tradition is to watch the Ghost Hunters Halloween Live special, broadcast (live, of course) from some spooky place somewhere in the country. Tonight, the crew is at the Essex County Hospital in Cedar Grove, New Jersey, along with some recruits from the new Ghost Hunters Academy, which premieres Wed., Nov. 11 at 10/9c.

It's pretty cool because you can log into the Syfy Web site and watch the live feeds on several cameras positioned around the hospital in dark tunnels and ancient rooms. There's even one in the morgue. If you see something suspicious, you're supposed to hit the "Panic Button" and the team will go check it out like hungry hound dogs.

I'm not sure what's so intriguing about all of this, but it's pretty fun. Maybe it's the interactive nature of viewers helping the team search for ghosts. Is anyone else watching? Have you seen anything spooky on the live-feed cameras? I haven't, but I'm still looking!

Linda M.

I watch Ghost Hunters religiously every Wed. night. This was the first time I watched the live feed online. I give it to the guys at TAPS, if they can watch video for hours on hours without any activity going on at those locations and not lose their minds while doing so, all the power to ya! I watched for about 30 minutes and my eyes went a little cross-eyed. During the live show, I was kind of hoping for more interaction with the location and the crew. Most of the shots were of Jason and the kids answering online questions. Another thing, when I asked some questions I didn't know where to go to see the answers.

November 05 2009 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

I hated this years so-called live show. Unless, you planned on sitting in front of the computer for 6 hours, there was no real live show. The reruns of 5 shows that were not so scary, was dumb. They were rerunning shows before the live show started. Are they going to have a results show based on the Halloween live show from what people supposed found?

November 03 2009 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

so, ..
Is this the "beginning of the end"? or the middle of the end?
With Discovery showing a new paranormal show with the same theme, right down to "two average guys leading a team of researchers to debunk or verify paranormal activity", I have to wonder if they are trying to phase out GH. I will be sad to see them go, but for the past several years they have done less real hunting/debunking and have become performers.
No new devices, no technical demonstrations (remember when they used to send photos out to have them analyzed, or removed background noise from sound clips to see if they could hear the "voices" better?)

And worse, now they only go to "tourist attractions" and do their shows from there. When's the last time they went to some paranoid housewife's place and debunked and calmed her worries that little johnny was going to be possessed ?
I miss my old favorite show and wish it would return.

November 02 2009 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

I agree! GH live was very weak this year. This supposed 'live' event was lame, re-runs and a promotion for Academy, and pre-recorded Jason and Grant? If Jason and Grant want to be with their kids on Hallween, then why can't they do a live event on the 30th. SyFy could always rerun the show on Halloween, just like Ghost Adventures did - Which by the way was Awesome. Ghost Adventures Live kicked the Ghost Hunters' butt big time.

Yeah, the same thing happened to me; when I saw what kind of show GH was having, I stopped taping it, and I will NOT be buying the DVD this year either, waste of time, waste of money.

November 02 2009 at 6:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sue's comment
Shawna

I totally agree with you. Ghost Adventures was AWESOME!!! I watched their live event and saw some freaky stuff on the cameras online. I'll tune in for GH at the very end when they do the reveal, that's it. It's so boring up to that point. At least on GA they show what they caught RIGHT after they caught it. I think that's what keeps me watching. And after this years GH Live event, I am seriously thinking of not watching anymore. What a disappointment!!! and waste of time!!!

November 05 2009 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane Boursaw

After watching the whole thing, it really didn't turn out to be as good as I hoped. I hadn't seen the reruns, but even they didn't seem that scary to me. The castle seemed a little scarier than the penitentiary, which was No. 1. At least a ghost hunter got knocked over by a ghost (supposedly) in the castle. The running spirit in the pen was just ok for me.

And I was hoping for more live action in the asylum, but I guess that's coming up in a new episode.

November 01 2009 at 6:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gummby3

I, too, am a long-time fan of Ghost Hunters. I enjoy the fact that they go in to disprove a haunting and investigate what they can't reproduce. With that said, last night's Halloween episode was one of their weakest efforts. I know that it was essentially Steve and Tango promoting their new show, but it came across as a less than enthusiastic attempt. They could not even investigate somewhere new. Jay and Grant were very missed and their prerecorded segments came across as forced. The only thing I can figure is that they have both missed the last 4-5 years of not trick or treating with their kids and missed it. My opinion: if they can't do a full crew, at a new location, then don't do a live broadcast. They showed a full day of reruns, so why would I want to watch a live show with MORE reruns? Not well thought out.

November 01 2009 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric f

once i figured out that it was essentially a repeat show i stopped the recording. I've seen the entire season... I don't want to see it again.

November 01 2009 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slibby

I watch it every year and enjoy it, wasn't as interesting last night because Jason and Grant weren't there, and for some reason I couldn't get the cam feeds, which was annoying, did anyone go to GH International, they had something going on too?

November 01 2009 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

worse, apparently it was six hours of repeats with little picture in picture live feeds of empty rooms. The worst show ever from GH.
I was so glad I dvr'd it , fast forwarded through almost the whole thing, I think it ended up lasting 1/2 hr when I was finished. So glad I didn't watch it live.

November 01 2009 at 8:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
olivia

hey ghost hunter I love your show it's funny and scared

November 01 2009 at 7:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply