April 23, 2014

An open letter to ESPN's Bob Griese

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 1st 2009 11:13AM
Bob_Griese_Miami_DolphinsDear Bob,

I'm writing you because I read in Dan LeBatard's column today that you've had a horrible week since your slip-up on national television last weekend. You know, that comment about a taco and NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya during the ESPN football broadcast you were calling? It was definitely a bad joke and some people have gone so far as to suggest that you're a racist for having said it.

I don't think you're a racist based on this incident. Neither does LeBatard. I think you're not a very funny person. You were a great quarterback. You've been an excellent analyst of college football. But you're no Shecky Greene when it comes to off-the-cuff guffaws.

Bob, I don't pretend to be in the same boat as you are, but we are both being read/listened to by thousands -- millions -- of TV watchers. Because of that, every thing we write/say matters. I have the option of editing my words; you don't.

Therefore, in the future, it might be a good idea for you to stick to the game. Sure, there will be things that happen that might make you think of a clever comment. Fight the urge; TV viewers can only handle X's and O's from you.

If you think a TV promo sounds goofy, don't laugh. Yesterday, for instance, the one ABC had your son Brian and broadcaster Bob Wischusen read during the University of Miami-Wake Forest game yesterday for V was so over-dramatic, that it was truly laughable. I'm sure that they were tempted to make a joke, but they didn't. Maybe because of what happened to you last week.

So, when you go back to analyzing games next week, you're tempted to make a joke, pinch yourself and stay serious. We're living in a time when the world is oversensitive, when every word is scrutinized for deeper meaning. It's political correctness run amok.

I hope you'll be remembered more for being part of the 1972 Miami Dolphins Perfect Team and being on two Super Bowl winning teams. It would be nice, like LeBatard wrote, if you were being talked about for your charitable works and the way you've been an upstanding, solid citizen for over 40 years. Unfortunately, the taco comment will stick. It's not fair, but it's the way it is. You see, Bob, comedy is hard, football is easy.

Sincerely,
Allison J. Waldman

bill pulkownik

ANY BODY WHO THINKS THIS COMMENT FROM GREISE MERITS ANY ATTENTION IS REALLY PLAYING WITH THEM SELVES. IT SEEMS MUCH OF THE READING PUBLIC ARE SO SIMPLE MINDED , THAT THIS TYPE OF DRIBBLE IS WHAT THEY CAN GET OFF ON.ANY THING FOR A SO CALLED NEWS ITEM . GROW UP AMERICA, THE REAL JOKE IN THIS COUNTRY IS THE OREO.

November 17 2009 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nickd

What if he had said Dale jr was out having a cheeseburger nothin would have been said.Who cares. I am thinking of boycotting espn,Why do Rush,jessie and Al get by with all the racest stuff they say.

November 08 2009 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

This is just the latest proof of something that I, and probably a lot of other people as well, have know for a long time. That is, any person who spends a lot of time with a microphone in their face is eventually going to say something stupid. Its human nature and its inevitable. I dont know what kind of broadcaster Griese is, but I say give the guy a break. He doesnt make a habit out of saying racist of offensive things, he just did what we all do from time to time, he opened his mouth and said something stupid without really thinking. It just so happens that he was on tv at the time.
If you really want to get all bent out of shape, save it for people who intentionally spew offensive, hateful nonsense constantly. Like Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson or any number of other media whores who actually insult and verbally attack people just to call attention to themselves.

November 02 2009 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jo Anne

Here,Here, Allison!!!

November 01 2009 at 9:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrissthomas

I am not a sports guy so I don't know how Bob is but I do know that it says something about our culture that now I do. This shouldn't have even been on my radar. I should never have heard of Bob Griese outside a football context. Why in the world is this an important story? Why was that balloon kid an important story? Why has no one talked about the shootout between FBI agents and radical Muslims in Deerborne, Il? What is happening to our country that people only care about nitpicky gossip pieces and not what actually matters?

November 01 2009 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to chrissthomas's comment
lost_fan69

I couldn't agree more!

November 01 2009 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C.A.

Well, it might have something to do with the fact that you're on a TV blog and not a world news site. That's just a wild, apathetic-to-the-world guess though.

November 01 2009 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jarrett C

Juan Pablo Montoya tweeted the other day that he was going out to lunch, for tacos...seriously. At least JPM has a sense of humor about the whole thing.

November 01 2009 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jarrett C's comment
Matt

Allison--

Problem is, Bob Griese isn't even a good college football commentator/color analyst. People still remember how he whored out ABC/ESPN and his perch for his son back in 1997 when his team split the National Championship with Nebraska. And frankly, he's consistently gone downhill from there.

All in all, the best move would be to remove him from the booth altogether and give someone that isn't a pathetic shill their shot.

Then again, finding any commentator from the ABC/ESPN/Disney family that isn't a horrible shill is part of the problem and why ESPN has been in decline as of late, isn't it...

November 01 2009 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jorge ( pronuced George )

Yes, at least JPM has a sense of humour. Bob Griese is and always has been a CLASS ACT. A gentleman, a Godly man at that. A great football analyst and commentatotor. An even GREATER quarterback and team leader. His HUMILITY hurts his image in this GODLESS era. Myself, a Miami Cuban-American, I have followed this GREAT QB and humble and GREAT and Godly gentleman since I was 8 years old. One weak joke, let's give him a break. God Bless you Bob, and all others reading this heartfelt message.

December 29 2009 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply