October 23, 2014

Singin' in the rain: Glee cast shines at the World Series

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 1st 2009 2:09PM
amber_riley_GleeWhen you're hot, you're hot. Fox's Glee is hot. It's sizzling. The music is all over the charts. Their single, "Don't Stop Believin'" went gold. It seems like everything it going right for this Ryan Murphy show.

For the third game of the World Series on the night of Halloween, fate tried to rain on the Glee parade. Literally. It rained.

In Philadelphia where the game was being played, there was a rain delay of over an hour. If you were a Glee fan -- a Gleek -- tuning in just to see the troupe before the game, you had to be disappointed.

However, if you stuck with the lame Fox filler -- a replay of the previous game's final inning and The Cleveland Show (did they show a whole episode?) -- you were rewarded at about 9:15 p.m. when they introduced the Glee cast to sing the National Anthem. If you missed it, here it is:

Well, the music speaks for itself. Brava to Amber Riley! Glee's Mercedes was wonderful. Her rendition kicked butt, in my opinion. She belted it out and ignored the rain. She pulled a Gene Kelly and simply sang in it. I would have liked it if the Fox cameras had given the group some close ups; after all, the network is supposed to be promoting these performers.

Nevertheless, Glee did it again. They triumphed. I'm starting to see a pattern here... could there be some Emmys in its future?

Ian

As seems to be a going trend, TVSquad linked to an inferior copy of the video. Here it is in HD, and 100,000 views as opposed to 10,000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACNSpkbRm4I

November 02 2009 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jayne

I figure the boss were becasue that is what Philly does. Of course by the end they were cheering cause the cast did a great job.

November 01 2009 at 8:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SupKev

I'm very disappointed by the quality there. You could barely here the others over that lame instrumental track, crowd noise, and mic crackling. I would have liked to actually hear them, it sounded good.

November 01 2009 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rdclark

I love Glee. Which is why I was even more upset than usual at Fox's shameless use of the National Anthem as an opportunity for self-promotion.

Let the team whose home game it is choose the singer; let the cities getting the often rare -- sometimes once-in-a-lifetime -- opportunity to shine on a national stage have a say in who sings.

You might have heard a few "boos" from the crowd when the Glee cast were announced. Rest assured it wasn't the actors, it was Fox being dissed.

November 01 2009 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna

That sounded live? Who does that anymore! That was awesome.

November 01 2009 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Secret Asian Man

They should've did a mash-up. "Star-Spangled Banner - This Land Is Your Land, This Land Is My Land."

November 01 2009 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply