July 29, 2014

President Logan returns to 24

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 2nd 2009 9:55AM
logan_24_itzinYou know, I thought we didn't have Charles Logan to kick around anymore. You know, the Nixonian disgraced President from 24? Well, I was wrong. 24 has cast Gregory Itzin to reprise Charles Logan in the upcoming new season.

Itzin -- who's currently been a semi-regular on The Mentalist -- was Emmy-nominated for President Logan, and he really gave it all the shadings and complexities of a dark, corrupt politician. He was a guy you loved to hate, but he had a soft spot and that was his love for his wife. His unbalanced spouse, Martha. When last seen on the show, Martha had stabbed Charles.

Last season, we heard that he was living in protective custody, like a Mafia kingpin locked up in witness protection. Or at least that's how I imagined it. The show didn't give much detail, except to confirm that Logan's still alive.

Itzin has been slated for storyline arc in the upcoming season. There has been no word on whether Jean Smart's being asked back as Martha, but I would be calling her this morning if I were in charge. You almost have to have Martha when you bring in Charles.

According to Fox, President Taylor -- Emmy-winner Cherry Jones -- is forced to reach out to Logan for help in dealing with an international diplomatic crisis. That also plays into the whole Nixon ethos, because Watergate aside, Nixon is regarded as having been very good at foreign policy.

24 returns with a double dose of action; a four-hour premiere over two nights, Sunday, January 17 and Monday, January 18. The show's going to be set in New York. Rumors of Jack Bauer mixing with Ugly Betty have been shot down by both shows. (Kidding!)

Actually, the story for season eight is that Jack's retired and reluctantly is recruited when there's a plot to assassinate a Middle East leader who's trying to broker peace.

I'm thinking that President Taylor s going to find out that ex-Prez Logan has a personal relationship with this guy, or the people who wants to kill him, thus the reason she has to call him. Or it could be something else entirely. Just one more reason to watch.

[Catch up with 24 on SlashControl.]

Beth

I am excited to see series 8 of 24! As we know it will be the last series so I expect several characters from the past appear to give us an amazing show & ending!
I am sorry to have it be the last season but as they say all good shows must end!

December 13 2009 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rea-Rea

Im thinking that this season is gonna be based off a dream Jack has while he's in a coma..then the end of the season,he dies...idk thats just how I see it playing.

November 03 2009 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken

I don't care who is, or isn't coming back to the show. If they continue with the global warming fallacy announcements in the middle of the episodes, they will hopefully lose a lot of viewers. I will be one.

November 03 2009 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jill

If you see the headline, Popular Character is coming back to 24 or whatever show may be in the article; then don't read it! YOU KNOW it's gonna tell you something about the plot. Your on this site you know what this site is about and you continue to b*tch and complain about a spoiler. It's your own fault. I never come to any of these sites or the shows home page because of that one reason. I came today cause I was hoping to see someone worth watching coming back to the show. He is a great actor- I saw his face and quit reading and came down to the comments and saw all the whinning. Quit reading the sites if you don't want to know what's going on! Plain and simple. A character coming back to the show is NOT a spoiler when he was shown on last years finale. Did you not watch it?? I am cracking up reading these pathetic rants about your show being ruined cause you read the article! IT"S YOUR OWN FAULT! stay off the sites and you won't EVER see what's going on! BUnch of babies! GAH!!!!!!!!!

November 03 2009 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

It's poor firm for you to put a spoiler before the break, but it is unforgivable to put it in the headline. It would break my heart to take you out of my daily reading, but you are practically forcing it. I was able to avoid seeing which character was coming back on several sites, but it was impossible to avoid here. No spoilers on the headlines! Sheesh.

November 02 2009 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davem

I agree with the complaints. With the pending season of Lost in mind I'm deleting this site from my RSS reader. I might add it back next June, but until then take care.

November 02 2009 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rollin Hand

Cherry Jones' fans (as in fans of 'Officer Paski' in the movie Signs) want to see more CHERRY JONES and not more of supposedly knocked-off former prez from 24's Season 6.
**The end of Season 7 (except for the Finale Episode) cut Cherry Jones out of the 'good' parts of the story and that has IRKED us (fans) mightily.

The writers of '24' must really love the 'villains' because they gave Super BadGuy Jon Voight the meaty, scenery eating-type material and practically reduced CHERRY JONES to wallpaper! (She got the Emmy for the Finale Episode, basically)

Please complain so that they straighten this out for 24's Season 8 !!! (Which doesn't look possible now that they already had a cast of hundreds -- and now GREGORY ITZIN, too.

Never trust FOX!!!

November 02 2009 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
plinstrot

Look at how /Film does it:

Title: Which Former 24 Cast Member Will Return For Season Eight?

Then a non-spoilery introduction followed by "but be aware: POTENTIALLY MAJOR SPOILERS LIE AFTER THE BREAK."

Is that really so hard? This type of casting news IS spoilers, especially when for a show like this, you just know the reveal is going to serve as a cliffhanger on one of the later episodes of the season. Spoil with "casting news" all you want, but just do it after the F*UCKING JUMP.

November 02 2009 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

And the point continues to be missed. The complaint isn't about spoilers being posted at all, it's about spoilers being put in headlines and before the jump.

As for having an "agenda", completely baseless. The site I mentioned is promoted by TV Squad itself in its Blog Roll on this very page. And I'm not sure who cited The Live Feed as being "spoiler free", but it certainly wasn't me. However, in the short time I've been reading them they have done a pretty good job of avoiding putting spoilers in headlines.

November 02 2009 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Alan

The fact that information is available elsewhere in no way means it isn't a spoiler. Obviously people who don't want to be spoiled are NOT going to be looking through the IMDB listing for the new season! There's nothing wrong with reporting this news, but it should be done in a way that gives those who don't want to know fair warning.

As for the news itself, I thought Logan was a ridiculous character, and to me his return does not bode well for the new season. 24 hasn't been consistently good since Season 3, and it's long past time I should have given up on it.

November 02 2009 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply