December 20, 2014

Comcast may own NBC soon

by Brad Trechak, posted Nov 3rd 2009 9:03AM
NBCAccording to the New York Times, Comcast is set to own NBC Universal and all channels that are part of it as early as next week.

This could change the entire television landscape and pretty much give us less of a selection in terms of entertainment. The rumor is that Comcast is going to keep the cable channels, then sell the NBC network. News Corporation expressed interest in the property, but the Comcast talks progressed along far enough to eliminate other potential buyers. It could be argued that having MSNBC partially owned by the same owners of Fox News is a bit of a conflict of interest.

Who would step forward to buy NBC network? The ratings haven't been great and they did do that silly thing with Jay Leno and their 10 p.m. slot. NBC is too much of a name brand to let fall by the wayside. Who do you think should step up and buy the network?

nick

The best parts of NBC/Universal are the cable channels, the Universal brand (but not the theme parks), and Hulu. If you uncouple NBC, and sell it alone along with the NBC news organization (such as including MSNBC), it seems rather unattractive. I'm not even sure what suitors would be interested a single network that is shadow of it's former self. NBC is going to be a major project to turn around. And it's going to require somebody with deep pockets and time.

It concerns me the largest cable operator is acquiring some of these properties. I figure consoliation in the industry is inevitable, but long term this may not be ideal for consumers. If they were to leverage some of these properties exclusively for their own customers, then well, you fill in the blanks.

November 04 2009 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben Watson

Hey TVSquad Guys/Girls-

What do you think will happen to Friday Night Lights and their deal with DirectTV for a fifth season of my favorite show? I'm worried that Comcast may drop it because of its involvement with DTV. But I don't know too much about how this stuff works. I think some shows like My Name is Earl were made by Fox but aired on NBC so maybe it's not as big a deal as I first thought.

November 03 2009 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron Vasicek

What worries me is I have to have DirecTV because the cable companies like Comcast & Cox won't come out to rural areas. Comcast owns Versus network and demanded so much money for it DirecTV refuses to carry that channel. Will Comcast do the same for channels I actually watch like USA and SyFy?

November 03 2009 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Drex

Comcast is just trying to get a part of the online game in Hulu IMO.. I hate Comcast, but own shares in GE so I'm torn on how to feel..

November 03 2009 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
philly_phenom

I hope this doesn't kill Hulu or NBC/Universal content from Amazon VoD.

Comcast isn't going to want their subscribers to have the option of purchasing content elsewhere.

Truth be told, I'm more concerned about Amazon VoD since I've actually paid for that content.

November 03 2009 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smeil

I didn't know NBC was still broadcasting. I haven't watched them in years since ER went downhill after Season 11

November 03 2009 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tingrin87

to be fair, i watch more of the SyFy and USA shows than i do NBC shows.

November 03 2009 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Why doesn't Jay Leno sell his airplane hangar of expensive cars and motorcycles and just buy NBC? Feels like he's running things there anyway.

November 03 2009 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adrian

My biggest question with this entire event: How will it affect 30 Rock? I bet they can make some great storylines out of it, though they will need to change Jack's profession since he works for GE.

November 03 2009 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

NBC's biggest problem is GE. Anyone else--without the interests that GE has--will let the network do what it does best.

November 03 2009 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply