April 23, 2014

Has Flight of the Conchords flown the coop?

by Danny Gallagher, posted Nov 3rd 2009 8:05PM
Flight of the ConchordsSome more sad TV news that thankfully doesn't involve Kirstie Alley: Flight of the Conchords might not be returning to television.

Jermaine Clement, one of the show's stars, told the Reuters News Service that their hilarious show might not return to television for a third season because the amount of work that it requires.

This isn't his or anyone else's final decision on the matter. Clement and his costar Bret McKenzie will discuss the possibility of a third season with directors and producers and should come to a decision by the end of the month. So all of you fans with Flight of the Conchords prayer alert hidden in your closet might want to a light an extra candle before you go to bed tonight.

Jake G

Somebody at TV Squad fell asleep at the wheel.

I don't think that FotC should consider a 3rd season. I thought season 2 wasn't as funny as the first season. It had its moments, but it wasn't as entertaining...

Oh well, if there is, somehow, a third season, I will be watching.

November 04 2009 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martin

Really, this article should read, Talks of possible 3rd season in the work, since it was reported almost a year ago that they were going to end with the end of season 2 and they even worked it into the season nicely.

November 04 2009 at 8:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick R

What everyone said...

Even TV Squad reported (over a year ago!) that the second season would be their last. It's been known since before the 2nd season even started:

November 04 2009 at 7:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JR

They had originally planned to end after the second season, then HBO expressed interested to bring them back so I'm assuming they will at least discuss the possibility of making another season although I doubt they will move forward with the show as both Jemaine and Bret have expressed how difficult the writing process was for them and having to come up with new songs and material. I love them and the show but honestly I think it's best to leave it as it stands.

November 04 2009 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M-D

I'm a bit confused by all this - I read a long time back that FotC was ending at the end of season 2, so how is this news? (Also, the deportation at the end of the season finale sort of puts a kibosh on season 3.)

November 03 2009 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to M-D's comment
Bob

I agree that this isn't really news. I seem to remember talk of the second season being the last before it even premiered. Once the guys used up 95 percent of their songs in Season 1 and saw what it took to make a second season I think they decided that would be the end. And I will think fondly of Bret and Jermaine as Shepherds in New Zealand.

November 03 2009 at 8:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply