July 24, 2014

Rex Is Not Your Lawyer, but he is the Doctor, David Tennant

by Jason Hughes, posted Nov 3rd 2009 1:04PM
David TennantI consider this a huge coup for NBC. After traveling through time and space in the TARDIS the past several years, it looks like Doctor Who's David Tennant is heading stateside to take the lead in Rex is Not Your Lawyer. Tennant will star as Rex, a top Chicago litigator who becomes so crippled by anxiety that he takes to coaching his clients into representing themselves.

The idea is completely madcap, but I think Tennant has just the right kind of wacky tenacity and cavalier bravado to pull off the role. In fact, it was apparently difficulty in casting the role that delayed the project until Tennant bounced in and nailed it.

It'll be interesting to see what they do about his accent. Tennant is Scottish, but adopted an "Estuary English" accent for his role as the Doctor. I think the Doctor's accent would work tremendously with the comedic role described here, but I can see the showrunners pushing him to make like Hugh Laurie (House) and so many others and go American with it.

MJ

I was so sad when I heard David Tennant wouldn't be playing The Doctor anymore. I think he has been the best Doctor by far. I couldn't believe he was leaving. Poor guy that will be following him.

I hadn't heard anything about the new series Rex is not your lawyer....does anyone out there know when the pilot will be shown?? I can't wait!! And I totally agree about NBC getting rid of great shows before they even have a chance. With David's popularity maybe they'll give the show a chance to catch on. I watch another show called "The Mentalist" and the lead actor is Australian and has an American accent for the show. I have no clue why they had him change his accent for the part because I think he'd sound great and it really wouldn't matter for the part he plays. I think having David speak in his native Scottish accent or Estuary English wouldn't really matter for this part either. He wouldn't have to be a "native" from Chicago. Anyway, I hope someone responds and lets me know when this pilot will air. Thanks Everyone, MJ

January 21 2010 at 1:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roberta Bettis

I am so looking forward to this! David Tennant is an amazing actor.

Please, please, please don't screw this up, NBC. Buy this pilot and series and then really market it. David will do wonders for the network's ratings.

January 13 2010 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bentendo

The perk here, is that if US viewers catch the pilot and like Tennant as a newbie to his work, they'll look back into his portfolio and discover Doctor Who if they've not already delved into it.

Win/Win situation for future ratings!

January 11 2010 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eastephie123

It's about time! I'm a HUGE DT fan & he will always be MY Doctor (loved "The Waters of Mars" & can't wait to see "The End of Time" episodes) but if DW is all you know him from then you're missing out on some of his best work. I've seen EVERYTHING he's ever filmed. Seriously, I went down the list on IMDb & found it all (God bless YouTube). I even purchased a region free dvd player so I could own everything he's filmed that is currently available for purchase (along with other great shows not available here in the US like QI...which David will also be a guest on this Christmas Eve). I LOVE his Scottish accent but I'm curious to hear his version of an American accent. I hope "Rex" does better than the last pilot he did called "Only Human" (which you can now only see online).

November 15 2009 at 11:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maijken

Definitely looking forward to this. I really hope it's not cancelled, altho NBS is notorious for cancelling good shows. I hope that they won't be quick to judge and also hope that it gets a good following so they'll want to keep it. Love David Tennant!

November 13 2009 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DeAnn

I am so glad to hear the best Doctor Who ever is going to be coming stateside and playing a Midwesterner, like myself.
Though I love Scottish accents, and find Scottish men quite toothsome, I think if he is going to be believable as a Chicago lawyer, he's going to have to dump is yummy accent and adopt the nasal vowels of the middle western United States. There just aren't a lot of transplanted Scots in Chicago, though there are a lot of people with Irish heritage.

November 06 2009 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn Maples

Let's see...NBC had Doctor #9 for Heroes and he disappeared. I certainly hope that Doctor #10 will keep that in mind. Every guy who's played the Doctor hasn't made it here in the states. :(

November 06 2009 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy Caggianelli

Oh my Stars!!!

Having just (re)discovered Dr. Who because of Doctor #10 (aka David Tennant) and then learning that he has only 3 appearances left (as Gallifrey's finest) I was heartbroken.

However, after just reading your article about my favorite Scotsman, I already feel my heart beginning to regenerate.

Thank you & well done NBC!!! As the Scottish accent has universal appeal and is always a precursor to a genuine smile, please allow David to present "Rex" in this manner. You (@ NBC) could not have chosen a better actor to pilot this new program! I'll be tuning in each week! :)

Welcome to the States David! You're always most welcome here - with or without the TARDIS. Glad you decided to think outside-of-the-box.

Molto Bene, Indeed! :)

November 05 2009 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Geneva Slim

Brilliant casting! About time David Tennant plied his trade across the pond. He has that controlled/manic thing going in his eyes that's so fun to watch (plus, he's simply yummy)! I agree with others, though - I hope NBC gives the show a fair shake, i.e., time to catch on. They definitely euthanize good shows too soon.

November 04 2009 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christy

I'm excited about this show! The concept sounds like fun and frankly, I'd be happy to spend 30 minutes a week just watching him read aloud from the newspaper. Especially if he does it in his Scottish accent or the British accent he adopted for Doctor Who.

November 04 2009 at 2:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply