April 24, 2014

True Blood to resurrect its vampire sheriff?

by Mike Moody, posted Nov 3rd 2009 5:00PM
true blood godricVampire sheriff Godric was one of my favorite characters from True Blood's second season. As played by Allan Hyde, Godric was a wise, sensitive and progressive bloodsucker who felt compelled to atone for his sins and for the sins of his people. Last time we saw the peaceful vamp, he was bursting into flame on top of a Dallas high-rise.

"That's too bad," I thought at the time. "I really liked that guy."

Did anyone else feel the same way? If so, head after the jump for some spoilery news that's sure to make you smile.

It looks like we might see more of Godric in True Blood's third season. E!'s Kristen says the show's writers are considering exploring Godric's 1,000-year history with Eric though flashbacks.

This sounds like a great idea. I'd love to see how the wicked and feral Godric we saw in last season's flashback became a stoic and merciful leader. And I'd love to see Eric in the role of naïve student learning from one of the oldest vampires on the show.

What do you say, True Blooders? Do you want to see Erik and Godric's story play out in season three?

MadameDeMerteuil

I got really excited by the title of the post - Godric to be resurrected...even though sadly impossible, it's one of my mad hopes. The roof scene in SE02E09 struck me as a very back scriptwriting decision. Godric (as represented in the show) brough balance to the vampire world and made the whole vampire kind suddenly much more interesting. The character had huge potential. Much less predictable than most other characters, good but not boring, with an agressive past left unrevealed, guilt, depressive tendancies, there was a lot to explore there. A lot to make the show something more than "aggressive vamps vs. good humans with a few other species and too much graphic sex thrown in". Destroying Godric was a mistake. After his departure, Eric went back to being "just a baddie", shedding all the depth that Godric's presence had given him. That alone proves how bad a decision it was to kill off Godric.
As for those people who complain about the show not sticking to the books's storyline; Have I got news for you..1. shows/movies NEVER totally respect books. 2. changing Godric's character is not the only difference between TB and C Harris's prose. Lafayette dies in the books. He lives in the show. Because in that instance, the script writers have understood the character's potential. Pity they lacked the same sense with Godric.
Now, probably upon reading reactions over the Net and becoming aware of the better ratings that the Godric episodes had, TB's creators are trying to adjust their mistake by tempting viewers with rumours of "possible flashbacks". God knows if that's even true. Maybe they're just trying to get us to watch SE03. I'm personally disappointed by the predictability of it all and the odd script choices being made: killing Godric, boring us with too much Meanad stuff, introducing and keeping a very silly Queen (how could SHE ever get to be Queen...what's THAT about?! the show has no logic when it comes to characterization). There is already a lot to make up for. And I'm not sure TB's directors are even aware of all their mistakes.

January 14 2010 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emma

This Godric is necessarily *NOT* a pedo. Grr why is it always the critical word that gets left out.

January 14 2010 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emma

Lets not forget that the books and show are separate. This Godric is necessarily a pedo. I think that AB and crew will be able to think up a way to tie in the flashback to the show quite easily... especially as Eric hasn't really dealt with the loss yet, its going to take some time, so flashbacks I think will be appropriate.

I just hope Erics hair is good... if they use a wig that it's a better one, as he got lost under the season 1 one. I didn't even notice him till season 2.

January 14 2010 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda Rae

Just for the record, his character in the book was a pedophile. Remorse or no remorse doesn't undo that fact.

November 28 2009 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RandomThought

PLEASE bring Godric back! He was only with us for such a short time. I truly thought they would give him his own story arc and he would last for many episoides. He added such a great dimension to the story line. To be honest, I would have preferred 6 eps of Godric than that whole wretched Mary Ann long-running hot mess. I say YEA!! Bring back Godric.

November 09 2009 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ross

Bring back the bad-ass Godric from 1000+ years ago.

November 08 2009 at 4:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shari

oops, sorry I meant Fellowship of the Sun

November 07 2009 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sooz

He burnt in DALLAS, not Houston!

November 07 2009 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brenda

I SURE WILL LOVE TO SEE MORE OF GODRIC HE WAS THE BEST GUYS THEY PICK TO PLAY GODRIC AND SEXY AND HOT TOO

November 07 2009 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stacy

Oh I would LOVE it if they brought Godric back. I was an avid lover of the book series way before it became a hit HBO series and the thing I love about the show is that it doesn't follow the books all the time. Just when I think to mysef"Oh, I know what happens next!!!', turns out, I don't!

November 07 2009 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply