April 20, 2014

Would you watch TV on iTunes for $30 a month?

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 3rd 2009 12:42PM
AppleThe Wall Street Journal's All Things Digital blog is reporting that Apple is having meetings with TV networks to see if they'd be interested in having their programs available on iTunes in a deal where viewers would pay a monthly flat fee to watch the shows.

Obviously, many networks already offer various shows on iTunes, but this would be a scenario where Mac and PC users of iTunes would pay a $30 a month subscription in order to watch TV shows. And that would be all shows, not just paying for each show that you want to watch.

I don't know if I'm ready for this yet. I still like watching TV on my TV (though you can watch iTunes videos on your TV). And if the networks were to agree to this, it would be a giant, fundamental shift in the way that people watch TV. And who knows what kinds of problems cable and satellite providers would cause. And how would the picture quality be? It's an intriguing concept though.

[via TUAW]

Vincent Rose

Absolutely, you bet I would. I drive a semi all over the USA and right now, I have the most basic, cheapest Directv service, with a DVR and the east&west coast feeds of CBS,NBC,ABC,FOX, and it's still over $60 per month. If itunes offers the same thing for $30, That right there would be a steal, as long as it's unlimited viewing, download anytime, that would be great!!!

November 09 2009 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
daniel newman

HOW TO GET FREE TV! http://bit.ly/1IOCyh

November 04 2009 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

Yes, yes, and yes! Doubt they would be offering it outside of the US though.

November 04 2009 at 6:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I'd love for this to happen because it needs to happen. Cable costs are so exorbitant right now that a service like this would eventually cause cable companies to rightfully lower their prices, offer more channels at fair prices, and think of new ways to keep subscribers interested.

Admittedly, iTunes has to get live sports with this service for it to make a real dent and I imagine with the right sales pitch, they could nab the NFL fairly easy considering they are always trying to be cutting edge.

November 03 2009 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

never in a million years

November 03 2009 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

A $30 per month all-you-can-stream (or download) deal? Perhaps it could be done, but your $30 would barely cover the bandwidth and hardware costs. You'd definitely have commercials -- probably highly targeted commercials -- and you'd be trading a crapload of demographic data for your favorite TV shows.

November 03 2009 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
philly_phenom

Apple would have to make itunes available to other devices before I'd even consider that.

I purchase season passes for my favorite shows from Amazon's VOD service so I can watch them on my TV via Roku.

Amazon is available from many Sony, Samsung & LG televisions as well (although I don't understand why Sony doesn't make it available via the PS3).

Viewing on the PC is fine, but I don't want to have to hook up my laptop to the TV every time I want to watch a show I purchase & I certainly wouldn't pay $30 a month for that limitation.

November 03 2009 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arc|Angel

Anyone with bandwith caps is sure going to get a big surprise with a subscription to this service.

I have a few other questions people aren't asking:
(1) Does this include access to a full back library of a shows? If so that would sure hurt DVD sales I would think (which has been the saving grace of the DVD/TV industry)

(2) Do I have to maintain an annual subscription? If not, what is to stop me from subscribing for one month (taking a month of work lol) and watching the full seasons of all my shows.

November 03 2009 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marc

If it included all major networks, and was commercial free, I'd consider it. But I think $30 is a bit excessive. $15-20 and I'd get it for sure.

November 03 2009 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adrienne

Uhm, no because I have a DVR.

November 03 2009 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply