July 30, 2014

CBS orders a bit more Accidentally on Purpose

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 4th 2009 9:02AM
jenna_elfman_accidentally_cbsCBS Monday night comedies have been doing pretty well so far this season, as far as the ratings are concerned. The Big Bang Theory is challenging Two and a Half Men for top Nielsens for a sitcom; How I Met Your Mother is doing as well or better than last year, and the new kid on the block, Jenna Elfman in Accidentally on Purpose, has benefited by being smackdab in the middle of all that established comic success.

CBS has ordered five additional episodes of Accidentally on Purpose. It's not a ringing endorsement, but it does give the show a chance to improve on what it's done thus far.

I'm not surprised. Accidentally is this season's Worst Week. CBS is trying to prop it up and make it work, but unless it has a radical change, I don't see that happening.

Accidentally is alright. Since I reviewed the pilot, the show has not really gotten any better. The characters are more familiar, but the writing remains pedestrian. I still can't stand Zach's friends, and I have no idea why Billie puts up with them invading her home.

But the show does have Jenna Elfman and Ashley Jensen.They're good. A lot of people have commented right here on TV Squad that they like the show and want it to succeed. I'm not saying it won't, but I'm kind of doubtful.

Oh, but it does have one other thing working in its favor: CBS Television Studios produces the show.

[Check out Accidentally on Purpose on SlashControl.]

zita

Does it make me laugh? Yes. Is it its purpose? Yes. Since it's neither a documentary nor a drama, I don't know what else we should ask from it. Comedies's main purpose is to help us release the day's tension. If it's intelligent humor, great, but if not and still accomplishes its goal, i.e., helps me release endorphins by making me laugh, let's keep it running! Simplistic but honest.

November 05 2009 at 8:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

I think Accidentally is hilarious, especially when Abby and Olivia quibble with each other. Those are always my favorite parts. Olivia's snide remarks at everything are great, but there isn't much character to her other than that. That's the problem....we don't see these characters learn from each other past that episode. They're all very static in terms of the series, especially the supporting characters. We don't find out anything about them. At all. They're just there for more comedic lines that can't be provided by two characters only, one of which is incredibly dull (Zack).

November 04 2009 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adrienne

It's not funny Worst Week was far better. I'll turn on something I've DVR'd or watch a Golden Girls rerun on WeTV or even read a book before I watch it. It's making me not watch Two and a Half Men too. I still tune in to and DVR Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother though.

November 04 2009 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric f

Accidentally on Purpose is not funny. there is no way around that.

November 04 2009 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

I watch this series only because it's between HIMYM and Two and a Halk Men, but it's certainly nothing special. Quite honestly, I don't know how they will be able to sustatin the series over the long run. It just seems pointless.

November 04 2009 at 9:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply