October 1, 2014

Is South Park too focused on reality TV?

by Danny Gallagher, posted Nov 4th 2009 7:29PM

Even though the show has been on forever, I still enjoy my weekly dose of the new South Parks. But lately, they seem to be running out of targets or have narrowed their focus too much on one particular evil: reality television.

The season opener featured a rather nasty swipe at Disney's Jonas Brothers. The recent "Dead Celebrities" chortle-fest took a much needed pot shot at Ghost Hunters, aka, "the gayest f#*$ing show on television." And last week launched an all out attack on Discovery's Whale Wars and Deadliest Catch, particularly against Whale Wars star Paul Watson.

The show has always been a bitch to write and making every episode a satirical masterpiece is impossible without suffering a full-on breakdown. But should the show lay off reality TV and take some bolder shots at reality, which as we all know are two completely different things?

trtlsoup2001

They were funny episodes, especially Whale Whores. If Capt. Watson can laugh about it (and harpooned AND lampooned him), so can I.

November 05 2009 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

Sounds like a few Harley riders up above.

November 05 2009 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

I don't care cos it's bloody funny!

I just consider this to be the theme of this half-season

November 05 2009 at 7:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mills

Seriously?... there's actually reality shows about hippie-types trying to stop whale hunters & people fishing for crabs. I honestly thought Matt & Trey were just parodying reality shows in general with made up ones.

November 04 2009 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrimReaper

I don't care that its ripping too much on reality TV. The show seems to be suffering from Shrek syndrome.

They started out with relatively original and good plotlines and suddenly midway became focused only on pop culture and the latest news to parody. Occasionally that can be good but it has to be balanced aka Pixar.

November 04 2009 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bubbameister33

No but I think TVSquad has become too focused on reality TV.

November 04 2009 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply