April 16, 2014

James Franco goes from movies to soap to 30 Rock

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 4th 2009 9:28AM
James_Franco_General_HospitalWouldn't you love to know who's giving actor James Franco career advice these days? I'm not knocking him or her, but I'd love to figure out the strategy. Or maybe this is just Franco being Franco (like Manny being Manny, for you baseball fans out there)?

James has just started filming his two-month arc on General Hospital -- check out the first pic (right) -- and now Michael Ausiello reports that James Franco will do a guest spot on 30 Rock.

How's that for a career trajectory -- from box office bonanza (Spider-Man) to Oscar feature (Milk) to daytime soap (General Hospital) to Emmy-winning sitcom (30 Rock). He's like a human pinball machine looking for a perfect score!

No, seriously, I think this is great. I hope he's doing what he feels like doing and not taking anybody's advice. Appearing on GH will bring him a whole different audience, and say what you will about soaps, daytime fans are loyal and remember every star who's ever been on their show.

Appearing on 30 Rock is also a wise move. He'll reportedly be playing himself in a publicity only romance with Jenna. It's something their public relations people think up to promote their careers. This was a Tina Fey idea, something she blabbed about at the Emmys.

Speaking of the Emmys, just about everybody who guests on 30 Rock is assured a nomination, so maybe JF is angling for some Emmy love?

[Watch 30 Rock episodes on SlashControl.]

looch

James Franco is the closest thing to James Dean of anyone in the movies now or ever. I will love seeing him on GH. Ive been a fan of that soap for many many years. Now Im anxious to see who and what character hs is going to play.

November 05 2009 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Abraxus

I like James Franco - and he is at that unfortunate age when there aren't that many great movie parts around because you're not young enough for some, and not considered mature enough for others, and also the movie industry is struggling a bit right now. So I think James is smart to take work wherever it is offered because staying in the public eye is important for longevity as an actor, and even though I don't watch soaps myself, I still know that MacGyver star and also Stargate star Richard Dean Anderson, got his start in soaps. Keep working hard James - one day you will be the go-to guy for lead actor in movies!

November 05 2009 at 7:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pedro

Just for the record, General Hospital has won more Emmys than 30 Rock. I think it is great that an A Lister is willing to "dummy it down" and appear on a show that has more history than he does. The people that work in the daytime TV industry are the hardest working people on the planet and deserve far more respect than is often given to them.

November 05 2009 at 7:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kingminos777

Allison I love how condescending you are. First you thumb your nose at soaps, then try to backpedal, with your: "...say what you will about soaps" yada. ABC's venerable, 46-yr old GENERAL HOSPITAL doesn't need you or anyone else validating or issuing a free pass to Franco for appearing. GH has one of the healthiest viewer demos in daytime. Franco and his agent are no fools.

November 04 2009 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cfl

Dear Allison Waldman, James Franco is a star (and a damn good actor). As far as I am concerned, he can do whatever TV show he wants. You and I should be so lucky!

November 04 2009 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Love me some JF.

November 04 2009 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sand

I applaude Franco's move. What is the best way to get notice; on a soap. He get the exposure and we the fan get to see and remember him. I thing most of the so call "A" listers feel they are to good to do television and because you don't see them that much you forget about them. I feel that there is some very talented actors on soaps and I would watch them over a so call star any day. I love Franco as an actor and I love General Hostipal; so when I heard the news I was very happy and think it's a smart move on his part in regard to his career.

November 04 2009 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
m

Franco was a star of "Freaks and Geeks" before he made it to Spider-Man fame, so I'm not surprized he's back on the small screen.

November 04 2009 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to m's comment
AT

I was going to say... Does no one remember Freaks and Geeks or check IMDB?

November 04 2009 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hill

Go Franco! I love it when an actor or actress takes on whatever role that suits their fancy. He is very talented and respectful of his role as an artist so these roles should not hinder his creditability in the future.

November 04 2009 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daune Calovini

Hahahaha, your Manny being Manny comment was like one of those nuggets that Dennis Miller used to deliver. I got it.

I, too, was scratching my head over the GH announcement, but I give James Franco all the credit for working and doing really interesting things. I do hope he's just having fun and enjoying the opportunities presented to him. Who wouldn't want to do a guest shot on 30 Rock??

November 04 2009 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply