September 2, 2014

CBS adds to NCIS and subtracts from Numb3rs

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 5th 2009 8:10AM
Numb3rsMichael Ausiello is reporting that CBS has reduced the number of episodes of Numb3rs for this season from 22 to only 16. What does this mean for the show? Well, it means that sometimes numbers aren't good even on Numb3rs. It also means that this pretty much guarantees that this will be the last season for the show. Ausiello thinks that CBS will put Flashpoint in the time slot when the episodes run out.

So, are all of you people who tried to save Southland going to mount a similar campaign for this show? I didn't think so.

But there's good news for fans of NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, How I Met Your Mother, CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, The Mentalist, The Good Wife, The Big Bang Theory, Criminal Minds, and Two and a Half Men: they've ordered more episodes for all of those shows. This comes on the heels of of Accidentally on Purpose getting an order for five more episodes.

No Medium, Old Christine, Gary Unmarried, Three Rivers, or Ghost Whisperer on that list, so fans of those shows will have to wait and see. I'm going to predict that at least two of those shows won't be renewed for another season.

Norma Votaw

It seems as though they knew this for a while. Don is contemplating his future with the FBI; it is obvious. Charlie is getting married; another change. If they tried they could really tie this series up nicely with a one or two part finale. I have watched this show from the beginning and have gotten a little tired of the "explanations" of the math uses. It "really feels" like the end is near and should be.

November 11 2009 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cathy Gigliotti

I really enjoy Numbers. It'a a shame, you get a good show like that, and you pull it.. We have enough CSIS on.. KEEP NUMBERS

November 10 2009 at 5:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

pulling for MediuM i hope it gets on that list

November 05 2009 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAKB

I've also watched Numb3rs from the beginning but I've not been enthusiastic about the storylines and the episode direction this season and last season. I also HATE how most of the show (especially scenes set at FBI HQ) is filmed in dark and blues and shadows. I know it's to convey a darkness and heaviness tone but I feel like it's not subtle at all. On the positive side, I love the appearances by Lou Diamond Philips and Henry Winkler - great character adds.

November 05 2009 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rahul

i have a possibly dumb question: HIMYM, BBT, 2.5Men, Criminal Minds, are all established CBS shows; shouldn't they automatically get a full season order? was there a reality show that they dropped or some event they tried to get but lost?

November 05 2009 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I've watched Numb3rs since the beginning -- inexplicably, really, because I've never been passionate about it. The episodes I've caught this year have been less than stellar.

They hit their syndication mark. Let them ride out this year and be done.

November 05 2009 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I'm sad to see numb3rs go. I really to enjoy the show, and like the math aspects. But it has been on for a while. Can't last forever.

November 05 2009 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Big fan of Numb3rs, especially the 'reconcilement of self' arcs that have played out over the course of the series. However, when that is done, you rapidly approach your Jump the Shark moment, when you're reaching deeper and deeper into the bin to find stories. When the two main characters need to be together, and one won't move geographically (Charlie), there isn't a whole heck of a lot more that you can do.

The success of recent series with a definate end point in mind show that you don't have to follow the old school conventional wisdom of keeping a show on for as long as its ratings will support it.

That logic is one that I believe another great procedural, NCIS, is rapidly approaching. We've gone through everyone's back story, one major death, everyone's family history - not much else left. It's time for Tony to get his own team, Gibbs to REALLY retire or move up, McGee to become senior team member, and Ziva to become an American and full fledged agent. After that.....

November 05 2009 at 9:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
Ryan

I entirely agree on NCIS. There isn't much left to tell about the characters and I think the group moving up to new roles and ending on a high note would be a good move.

November 05 2009 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Leach

I like Numb3ers and have watched it from the beginning, but it isn't a show I would be outraged about. I think it has run it's course.

If that is true about Flashpoint, that is freaking awesome!! I love that show!

November 05 2009 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply