July 30, 2014

Unpopular post of the day: Modern Family is overrated

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 5th 2009 2:15PM
Modern Family
First let me say that Modern Family is a good show. Let me repeat that in italics, bold and with asterisks around it so it stands out even more: *Modern Family is a good show.*

But the reason why I say it's "overrated" is because I've been hearing from various critics that they not only think it's great, but it's going to be on their list of the top ten TV shows of 2009. And that's where the overrated part comes in.

Top ten? Really?

I've enjoyed each episode of Modern Family, for the most part, but at the same time I think the show is a bit contrived and it's almost as if the various characters were created in a very blunt way to show the various members of the family as a wacky mix. So we have the gruff old guy with the incredibly hot wife, the gay couple who bicker about everything, the cute wife with the clueless husband, and a bunch of kids.

And the way it's filmed seems like a mix of better shows like Arrested Development and The Office, with the use of handheld cameras and a faux-documentary style that I still don't understand. Is someone filming a documentary a la The Office, and if not, why are the characters sitting and talking directly to the camera and also looking at the camera sometimes during regular scenes? It's the same thing that happens on Parks and Recreation, but I think subliminally I accept it more because it's from the same people who do The Office.

I think that the people behind the show (and this is just a wild guess) went with the documentary style because if the show was structured differently it might not hold up as well and that realistic look (speaking to the camera, no laugh track, very little music) is all the rage now.

I find Modern Family amusing, but I rarely laugh out loud at something like I do with shows like 30 Rock or The Office. I think that the show that precedes it on Wednesday nights, The Middle, is a better show. Maybe because it's not trying to position itself in any sort of way, it has the basic format and structure of a sitcom, and while that might seem like a dig, a basic premise can be quite good if the writing and the cast and the execution are all well done, and I think The Middle gets it right.

So, to summarize: Modern Family is good, but not great.

Now you can hit me with your vitriol in the comments.

T.D.

"Modern Family" IS overrated! It is not funny, and I hate the documentary style where the characters are sitting down talking to the camera. The hip-hop dad is the worst!!! "The Middle" is a much better show!

November 15 2009 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

What am I missing I dont find 30Rock or The Office even the least bit amusing?
I like Modern Family and Cougar Town is ok, but I guess we all have different likes and dislikes.
I watched Earl in re-euns the other night and was completely predictable at every turn, no wonder its off the air.

November 08 2009 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
linda

well i'm sorry if i'm steppinf on toes, but i got got red skelton's movie hits on dvd i'll watch them till they wear out, because todays shows in my opinion (suck)............modern family my poototie, more like no modern morals. still some of the cast are good,

November 08 2009 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grea

I like The Middle much more than I like Modern Family. Modern Family is not very good. I like the old format of a sitcom better than the new one. The Middle has much better writers, I think that's what makes or breaks a sitcom.

November 08 2009 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mercedes Santana

What's the old saying? "No ifs ands or buts?" the show is refreshingly funny.

November 08 2009 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

WAY over rated!! That fat actor who plays one of the gay guys, is such an over actor, he's making all gays look bad. And as if the beautiful latino woman would actually marry that old fart?? Rrriiight!! Not at all believable. But the biggest thing is, it's just not a funny show. I thought it was supposed to be a comedy but guess not...

November 08 2009 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheryl

I like Modern Family. I watch the Middle and Hank too. I watch Cougar Town, but I can't figure out why. After watching those 4 shows, it makes me miss Samantha Who? even more. I think that show was better than the 4 of these new shows. ABC dropped the ball on that one!

November 08 2009 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
julie

Modern Family is definitely in my top 10, in fact, its in my top 3 --- with Grey's Anatomy and The Good Wife.

November 08 2009 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gerry

I have a brother-in-law and his partner who live in California, and when I watch the gay couple on Modern Family, it is as if they have a spy camera trained on my brother-in-law. As odd and disfunctional as they all are, so is every other family in America. I find the show very funny, intertaining, and quite believable!!!!!!!!!!

November 08 2009 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iKitty

I think it's Very contrived but it ends up, somehow, being pretty damn clever. Perhaps it's just perfect casting and way better than average acting but I never expected to find this show funny but I do. I think it's been pretty darn funny every week. And seriously dude, ANYTHING that comes on after a show with Patricia Heaton in it will be better. She is beyond AWFUL.

November 08 2009 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply