November 27, 2014

Was Fox rooting for the Yankees to win the World Series?

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 5th 2009 4:04PM
Hideki_matsui_NY_Yankees
Considering the incredible overnight ratings that Fox got for Game Six of the World Series, you might think I'm crazy to suggest that the network would be rooting for the New York Yankees last night to beat the Philadelphia Phillies, but I have evidence. All through the game, Fox was promoting Fringe and Bones, urging viewers to tune in tomorrow night -- tonight -- for new episodes. Why would the network be sending that message when there was a possibility of a Game Seven?

Okay, maybe it was just a simple case of covering their bases (ha-ha, base -- get it?), but it seemed a little weird to me. From my perspective as a die-hard Yankee fan, I wanted the World Series to end last night. I didn't want to drama of Game Seven. But Fox has been cleaning up in the ratings with this match-up. It won last week and will probably be in the top five slots this week.

Last night's baseball game, Game Six, was seen by an average of 22.3 million viewers and had a 7.4 rating with adults 18-49. That's top of the charts good! Surely, the network wanted another game more than regular programming. And Game Seven might have drawn even more than 22 million just based on the finality of it all.

And yet those ads were very definitive. So maybe it wasn't that they were rooting for the Yankees to wrap it up. Maybe some gypsy fortune-teller or numerologist had given the network the scoop that the Phillies weren't going to win, that the Yankees had fate on their side. That and Hideki Matsui, a good pitching performance by Andy Pettitte and the ultimate closer in Mariano Rivera.

johngaltx

With that payroll they should have been undefeated with 162 shutouts and scored in every inning of every game including the bogus world series where the All-Star game dictated the home field. By the way I hate both teams.

November 06 2009 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

If I had a billion dollars, I could win the World Series, too.

November 06 2009 at 8:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

To all you Yankee haters out there, I have a nice big Bronx cheer for you. Pthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Save the angst, become a Yankee fan and know your behind the greatest baseball team ever.

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha

November 05 2009 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DJ

Well Joe Buck was certainly rooting for the Yankees. Hes always bashing the Phils.

November 05 2009 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emtae

Most people that watched hoped the Bankees would lose. Game 7 would have had HUGE ratings because of all of the extra people watching hoping to see the Bankees lose.

The Bankees buying/winning a World Series is the most boring story in sports. They should "win" it every year and it's hilarious that they don't.

November 05 2009 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to emtae's comment
MJL

Waaaa waaaa waaa...so if whatever team you root for was willing to spend $200 million in an effort to win the World Series, you'd stop supporting them? Shut up.

November 05 2009 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
punksrus

Well, the good news is new Bones and Fringe!!

November 05 2009 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to punksrus's comment
ricky19

yep thats the only good news coming out of last nite =]

November 05 2009 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darsolo

All the adds did say if no baseball

November 05 2009 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kikstad

I thought the same thing. :)

By the way, I posted an open letter to Yankee haters on my blog. Check it out http://nickleshi.blogspot.com/2009/11/letter-to-yankee-haters.html

November 05 2009 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MJL

C'mon Allison, every league/network roots for a Game 7 in a championship series...stop over-analyzing.

November 05 2009 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pmaha

I noticed the caveat "if not baseball" on the ads. It seemed very clear to me.

November 05 2009 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply