September 1, 2014

How The Young and the Restless got Eric Braeden back

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 7th 2009 4:04PM
nikki_victor_the_young_and_the_restless
Sometimes it's true that all's well that ends well. And sometimes to reach that happy ending, arms are twisted, feelings are hurt, and bad blood is spilled. In the case of The Young and the Restless and actor Eric Braeden, there was a good deal of acrimony on both sides. The fact that Braeden is back in the fold now and he will continue as Victor Newman for the foreseeable future, doesn't obscure the fact that it was a nasty situation.

Braeden had seen how Jess Walton and Melody Thomas Scott had been treated. He pulled a power play with Sony, the power behind Y&R, and chose to go public. When Braeden threatened to walk, they called his bluff. He left and went directly to the media. His very vocal protest was enough to rile the fans.

Y&R was not deaf to the din. The message boards and emailboxes of soap sites and fan sites were jammed with complaints. Fans were vowing to give up Y&R if Eric Braeden was not playing Victor Newman.

According to TV Guide's Michael Logan, Sony was ticked off that Braeden had blabbed to the press. He said awful things about the company and the powers that be resented it. In retaliation, Sony leaked to the media that big names were being sought to fill the Victor role, including Peter Strauss, Paul Michael Glaser and William Devane.

Two days later, Eric had re-signed with the show. Coincidence? Probably not. And just to make the cheese more binding -- what an expression! -- Sony gave Braeden a shot below the belt by revealing he had been forced to take a half-million dollar pay cut (from $1.5 to $1 million). That's no reason to have a telethon for the actor, but it was a blow to his ego.

Boy, and you thought the stuff in front of the camera was over-the-top!

Tannis Land

I'm so happy that Eric Braeden is back. Everyone wants Sharon to get her baby back but I would like to see them get rid of Sharon or at least have someone else play Sharon. I really don't think this girl can act. Keep Nick and Phyllis together. They are hot together. And I LOVE Billy! Now there is someone who can act!

January 14 2010 at 7:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
reva venable

I've watched Young and the Restless forover 35 years and if you even think of taking it off the air, I will stop watching CBS at all. Alot of people don't have a computer to comment on your attempt to close our show, and I speak for alot of those who can't email you.

January 11 2010 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Willie

I can't believe that everyone on the program that have done something bad seem to get caught but adam. First there was the diary, causing Ashley to have a miscarrage and destroying the evidence when she fell down the stairs. Spying with camera positioned around the house. Estelle accused of haunting Ashley. Stealing the urn from the funeral home. Now he has stole Sharon's baby and dating Sharon. This is utterly rediculous. What is wrong with the writers of this program. He needs to get caught. We all know how fast the kids grow up on these soaps. One day they are in diapers and in two weeks they are in school. I can only hope that when Victor and Nikki return to the story line that the truth will come out and his but will fry. I hope that Sharon wil not become pregnant by Adam. I will stop watching. Writers, WAKE-UP.

December 19 2009 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marguerite MHA

Eric Braeden is Victor Newman. Sony Inc. is crazy to let go of the Veterans. Namely, John Abbott, Brad, and Colleen. They should rehire the original Adam. Also, return the baby to Sharon & Nick. They are soulmates. Phyllis and Jack are made for each other. Hopefully, Summer will turn out to be Jacks child. I love that Nina is back and hope the show pairs her with Doug Davidson. I'm loving Chance & Chole together. I also hope that Phillip is not gone for good. All the show needs now is Danny and Crickette and the future of Y&R will be back to the golden days.

November 22 2009 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce

I'm so glad Eric B. will be back. He's the only Victor there is. But, really, now...the story about Sharon's baby and Ashley. That's a lot of hooey. There's no way a woman would not know she had not delivered a baby. Ashley may have had a hysterical pregnancy, but the delivery. No way. If you need to get rid of someone, make it that idiot Adam. That's also another stupid story line.

November 21 2009 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elaine D.

Eric Braeden is the only actor that can effectively play Victor Newman. Please give Sharon her baby back! Give Neil Winters a new girlfriend! billy needs to grow up!

November 21 2009 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pauline

Love Victor. Do not care for the stupid drama of the baby and Ashley and Victor Jr. Get rid of them please.

November 21 2009 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kitty

What's the matter Sony? Are you really that broke and underhanded that you're trying to stab him in the back? Shame on you! I have no respect for Sony whatsoever.

November 17 2009 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
moe rose

eric b is theonly victor newman i am so glad he is back

November 16 2009 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I knew if Sony had any business sense at all Eric would have to come back!!!!! I don't believe everything I read though, because Sony could TRY to replace Eric with other famous actors but in this case there is only one person to play Victor now and forever. It may be said that's why Eric signed again but don't buy it! Sony has really put a BAD taste in my mouth about them and others feel the same I know. Hey Victor, who loves ya BABY!!!!!!! WELCOME HOME! GOD BLESS!

November 15 2009 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply