July 30, 2014

BBC's legendary EastEnders soap goes online

by John Scott Lewinski, posted Nov 8th 2009 10:30AM
Eastenders is going online with a new web soap opera.Think of the most popular American daytime soap. Then, multiply that by a factor of 10. That's the ongoing craze known as the BBC's immortal EastEnders. Premiering in 1985, the working-class melodrama remains one of the U.K.'s highest-rated series.

Now, EastEnders is set to kick off its own web spinoff series next year. According to a Beeb press release, the online BBC Vision Multiplatform commissioned EastEnders: E20 to go live in January, 2010.

In addition to taking advantage of TV's online evolution, the web series will help to celebrated the EastEnders 25th anniversary.

Now, the question is if anyone in Hollywood can catch on to moves like these and adapt more successful U.S. shows into big name web series. Shows like 24 tried brief web dalliances, but nothing this ambitious has yet to take flight from American networks.

And, the BBC is using the web series to give young writers a shot. EastEnders: E20 is written by 13 new London writers between 17 and 22 years of age. They attended a summer TV school where they created and wrote the online drama. The series' official description says the online show will follow "four new teenage characters (casting to be announced) who arrive in Albert Square, each searching for an escape from their regular lives."

This is the future of TV, people -- like it or not. And, it's a bad omen on this side of the Atlantic for the BBC to be driving this bus while American networks fret over declining ratings and DVD sales.

jude

I'm just looking for the easiest way to catch up on Eastender's episodes from about 2007...although I appreciate the episodes on PBS (4 years old? and like Beta tapes that were uncovered from from a dig in Arthur's allotment)... there's got to be a way to catch up to the present.

Any help?
Here's where I lost all contact with Walford--Mark had just letf home with his declining prognosis...is Kat pregnant?...awaiting sentencing on Jamie's death... About what episode was this?

Is this 2006 or earlier?
How can I catch up easily?

Thanks for any help...

November 28 2009 at 12:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

I watched Eastenders from the beginning when the CBC started airing it. I stuck with it for the few months CBC aired it LOVED it and would have stuck with it but CBC the stupid dumb Crown corporation stopped airing it. A few months later a Canadian specialty channel started airing it but they were 2 or 3 years in, so I didn't bother as I wanted to know what happened to the early characters and the storylines.

November 08 2009 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lisalou

love, love, love eastenders! started here in upstate ny in late 80's and have been hooked ever since

November 08 2009 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

It's not really a great advertisement for British life, though I guess not many soaps are.

Can't stand Easenders, it's far too grey, plus it's based dahn sarf & I'm a Northerner - if I were to watch soaps (which I don't) it'd have to be Corrie (been around much longer, based in Manchester) or Emmerdale (Set in the countryside)

I can't believe it's been going on for 25 years though, I vaguely remember when it started

November 08 2009 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

I used to watch Eastenders on PBS. Great show. Loved Arthur and Mark. Couldn't stand Pauline. Ian was one of the best TV weasels ever (though I actually felt sorry for him when he was saddled with crazy Cindy).

After a steady diet of American entertainment, one of the great parts of watching the show was watching the tension peak any time someone even suggested the idea of using a -- :gasp: -- GUN.

I fell away, due to time, not interest, somewhere after the big Grant/Phil bust up over Sharon (the face off in the Arches was great). Or was it when the two of them drove off a cliff(?) after a heist? :-)

November 08 2009 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply