September 20, 2014

NCIS's latest casting coup ... the Secretary of the Navy

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 9th 2009 11:28AM
NCIS_Ray_Mabus_GibbsThe 'N' in NCIS stands for Naval. In case you didn't know that, I thought I'd tell you upfront, so that maybe the rest of this news will make sense. TV Guide has reported that Ray Mabus, the U.S. Secretary of the Navy is appearing on NCIS. Yes, that's right, the real United States Secretary of the Navy is going to guest on America's most watched drama series.

Oh, one more thing. He's not playing the Secretary of the Navy. He's playing an NCIS agent. So until we get more information, it seems that Secretary Mabus simply has a desire to act and CBS is giving him a chance to show his stuff. Or maybe he's a really big fan of NCIS (he wouldn't be alone).

On November 24, the Thanksgiving week NCIS episode, the Gibbs, DiNozzo, McGee, David and company will be talking turkey, i.e. Thanksgiving, only to be put on a case instead. In the episode called "Child's Play," the NCIS team become involved with a child who may be the target of a killer. You see, there's this dead Marine. The clues connect him to a 12-year-old prodigy played by Madeline Carroll.

I can somehow see that the end of the episode is going to involve a Thanksgiving dinner with the little girl. But the mystery is this: will Secretary Mabus' character be in on the festivities?

Charles

***Keith***AMEN (and AWOMEN) of "OUR" armed forces "GOD" bless....***bob***YES i hope he does ship out w/....he (mabus) was also on the daily show....how come no one wants to ask him if he ever heard of "Nostradamus" ???

November 09 2009 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill Spahr

I would really like to see JAG return to TV with the same cast. NCIS is the best show on TV now.

November 09 2009 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
judy

If the President of the United States can go on the late night shows, what is wrong with the SecNav going on NCIS, as a 13 year Veteran of the Navy I do not see anything wrong with it. Best of Luck to him.....and as a loyal fan of NCIS I will be watching.......

November 09 2009 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen Allen

OMG! That is so not fair! I'm an avid NCIS fan and have wanted to be on that show for a very long time...why can't i give acting a try? Afterall, i've wanted to be an actor my whole life! My path was chosen for me long ago, and I never had the opportunity to pursue my dreams cos of lack of funds. I'm an actual military spouse, so I think I would do well.

November 09 2009 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SHFranke

Greetings.

One overlooked fact of life in that NCIS series is that NCIS agents have investigative jurisdiction and arrest authority only over actuve duty members of the US Navy and US Marine Corps. No way could they pull off those episodes involving "plan vanilla" civilians who are not legally employed or professionally affiliated with either of those two services. Great example of script-writers' "literary license."

(Wish my now-closed-but-clearly-remembered old military intelligence office featured such spacious facilities, furnishings, and high-tech gear as shown in this series...)

Regards,

SHFranke

November 09 2009 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
acorn

Oliver North appeared several times on JAG as himself. This was prior to Catherine Bell's appearance on the show.

November 09 2009 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mel

Error Error!!
"the NCIS team become involved with a child "
this should be "team became"
ok, sorry...it annoys me.
some people on here need to chill too. serously if you dont like it you dont have to go telling everyone about it.

November 09 2009 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mel's comment
Jacq

No it is not an error. They are writing about the fact that the team will "become involved with 'because it is a future episode. Your so called correction of "the team became involved " would imply referring to something in an episode that happened in the past tense. Read things properly for goodness sake. Grammar police you evidently are not.

November 09 2009 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bobbb

They did not say if he was going to be a bad guy or a good guy. Maybe he is going to ship out with those other 40,000 soldiers to Afganistan on the show and give us a hint about what Bama'boy is thinking. Is Mabus a muslim name? maybe he will be double-agnt like that Nadel Hasan. Sometimes you have to do the dirty work to get your foot in the door. Not everybody can be a Fred Thompson.

November 09 2009 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cannotbelievethis

I love NCIS, and while it does indulge in some creative license - it is a wonderful show. Yes it is a little gritty, but the world is gritty. As a cameo, let the SecNav have a little romp... he's getting minimum wage from the SAG ($486 a day, I think it is). If it adds a little realism, what's the harm? He's doing it on his time...

November 09 2009 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Geetrls

Opinions are like butt holes every body has one..so it's easy to spot the real buttholes by their infantile posts.
Yep, if you do not like it-- do not watch it!! & and by the way shut up and have a nicely nicely nice day...
NCIS is one of the best TV shows in a long time

November 09 2009 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply