December 21, 2014

CBS picking up Shit My Dad Says from Twitter account

by Brad Trechak, posted Nov 10th 2009 10:41AM
TwitterCBS has picked up a new comedy based on the ramblings of someone's father from a Twitter account called Shit My Dad Says. The title will likely change when it gets to the small screen. Will & Grace creators David Kohan and Max Mutchnick are behind it so it has some legs.

The creator of the Twitter account, Justin Halpern, has become an Internet star. Actually, this is the second Twitter account to get a sitcom, the first being TextsFromLastNight (which is being produced by Sony TV and Adam Sandler's people).

Based on the sample tweets, I can see this actually working as a sitcom where a twenty-something or early thirty-something is forced to live back with his parents. His father would be a pessimistic Larry David or Ricky Gervais character, saying awkward things all the time to humorous effect. I think the only trick would be to tone down the profanity, or perhaps just use bleeping.

This is why I have to start a Twitter account.

Sir Yuck-Yuck

I am on Twitter and I don't follow this person's tweets, sure his Dad may say some of this stuff but I am sure the Dad has dry spells so his son, a writer, gets a little creative NOR will I watch the sitcom.

November 11 2009 at 2:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynwood

Two questions! If there was a remake of Sanford and Son (ideal cast) would you check it out? Second! If there was a movie with Tyler Perry's Madea vs. Fred G. Sanford, would that also be a must see? Tribute to Redd Foxx 70's sitcom Sanford and Son.

Twitter.com/healingprophet
Youtube.com/healingprophet

Lynwood

November 10 2009 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

A sitcom about an adult child who goes home to live with his parents. My, how original.

November 10 2009 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Yormark

Of course it will work considering this twitter account is managed by a writer. You don't actually think there is a real "dad" behind all these do you?

November 10 2009 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jason Yormark's comment
dukrous

Considering how close the stuff quoted in Twitter is to the stuff my own father has belted out on occasion (despite being 15 years younger than his dad), I'd say the twitter account was being fairly accurate.

November 10 2009 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sourbob

The LA Times profile on Halpern made it seem not only completely reasonable, but almost certainly positive that these quotes from his dad are indeed real.

November 10 2009 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply